1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Sun Times FAIL

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Courtesy of Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times:

"It was big news in Chicago that the Cubs had worked a deal to acquire Matt Garza from the Rays. But the Chicago Sun-Times had a bigger surprise for its readers this morning with this back page photo - of former Ray Joaquin Benoit (who recently signed with the Tigers).

Rays radio man Dave Wills, back home in Chicago for the week, passed it on this morning."

Here's the link with the image, sorry I couldn't get it on here myself: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/content/chicago-paper-strikes-out

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does Dave Wills still talk about Chicago, his love of the White Sox and his hatred of the Cubs & Wrigley Field during every game?

It must have killed him when the Six won the Series the year after he left.

3. This coming after Joe Cowley ripping the Trib after the Sun-Times got the scoop:

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Cowley must be well-liked in the press box (not).

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

The mistake stems from a bad cutline from AP photog. The Daily Herald ran the same picture. That's what I figured when this story broke. Anyone with pagination experience knows of a wrong cutline.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

And that is hardly his only tweet on the matter.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Cowley's a joke.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They both have the same facial hair, too. And Benoit is only slightly darker-skinned than Garza.

No one should lose their job over this one.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Heck yes. I have no idea who the two players are in question, so I could have made that mistake. AP's human too, but they can take down a lot of folks with bad cutlines.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hell, I've made that mistake, thanks to AP cutlines!

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Cowley in action:

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

College football can be dangerous in this regard, since some players share numbers.

On Florida this season, both QB Trey Burton and CB Jeremy Brown wore No. 8. I saw more than one photo move across the wire with either Burton or Brown misidentified.

Draft saved Draft deleted