1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Sun-Times devotes entire front page to begging for a new owner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, May 16, 2017.

1. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Who's Mike Royko? I'm not familiar with him, which sport does he cover for the paper?

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Worm collecting.

3. Sports Barf

So Bears then?

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And 16-inch softball in the offseason.

Vombatus and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I remember my freshman year in college at the University of Colorado I would go the Norlin library after class ostensibly to study. But instead I would go to the periodicals section in the basement and read the out of town newspapers. I really enjoyed the Sun-Times. They had some great columnists.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This Dorko guy or whatever his name is must suck. Can't find his Twitter anywhere so dude must have like nooooo followers.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He covers the dead beat.

8. LanceyHoward

How is the Detroit News doing. Are they still a viable paper or has their staff just reprinting wire copy? I know their situation is different than that of the Chicago Sun-Times because they are in a JOA but the economy in Detroit is not what it is in Chicago.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Jokes aside, why does Tronc want the Sun Times? Is it just for the building and land? Would there be any possible reason to continue printing the Sun Times newspaper? Or keep its website? I see no possible reason.

10. LanceyHoward

The Sun-Times previously sold their real estate and Tronc prints the Sun-Times.

Even if we assume Tronc is not lying advertising sales staffs can be combined. I also find it hard to believe that the production of the websites will be merged even if brands are maintained. The websites will be largely clones.

And Tronc could always be lying and really plans to close it.

11. Sports Barf

I'm sorry I can't take a company called "Tronc" seriously

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Where is the Sun Times located now? Who purchased their building/land? It's pretty crazy how the selling of prime newspaper land was the last way to get the CEOs their huge year ending bonuses. I have heard that it is now THE No. 1 way of making money. Selling of property and the physical structure. It's crazy how the era of rewarding the CEO has sped the death of journalism. Think of all the cool, historic amazing buildings that housed newspapers that are ... gonzo!

Draft saved Draft deleted