1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Sun-Times (and Tribune) Fail?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

There are really people who have never heard of the bulldog?

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That was my thought, as well, DD.

You got the bulldog edition. Most major metros have one.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

For the Sun-Times, it will say either Sports Final or Late Sports Final on the cover if it is a Sunday edition (same goes for weekdays). Tribune puts "Early Edition" at the upper right and then has stars replacing it for the true Sunday papers.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Some papers are almost comical in how bad their bulldog fronts are. One that I saw all the time would have little more than a giant picture and a few teases, the biggest of which was "$684 OF COUPON SAVINGS INSIDE!"

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wish papers were more honest about their labeling. Using stars is an inside-baseball thing, as far as Joe Civilian is concerned. I always have had to flip to sports section and look for a Saturday night result to trust that I'm really getting a "Sunday" Sunday paper.

The convenience stores are the worst at just stacking them up and letting you get stuck with whatever you pull. Some won't even put the fresh ones out until the Saturday evening versions are gone. Those proprietors tend to screw over customers in a variety of ways beyond this, of course.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times, yes.

7. mb

mb Active Member

Back when I was in school I took my first trip to Dallas. First thing I did was buy a Morning News. Couldn't figure out whythefuck there wasn't any actual ... you know ... news in it. Wasn't until I got back that my 101 professor explained it to me.

So I'll cut folks some slack for not knowing. Especially folks that aren't from major cities.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

In house, the Tribune bulldog is called "the pink" for the color of the layout sheets in the old days.

Draft saved Draft deleted