1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago sportscaster found dead in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, May 12, 2011.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Daryl Hawks, sports anchor for NBC-owned WMAQ-Channel 5, was found dead today in his hotel room in Atlanta, where he had gone to cover tonight’s Bulls playoff game.

http://beaconnews.suntimes.com/5340239-417/nbc-sports-anchor-daryl-hawks-found-dead-in-atlanta-at-age-38.html

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

3. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

tragic ironies all over this story ... same station lost another sports reporter about eight years ago ... about the same age ... both of them transplants from the same home town (Buffalo) ... my thoughts and prayers are with the family ...

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You talking about Darian Chapman? He was here in DC for a while too. I really liked his work.

5. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

yep ... Chapman was the guy ... had a heart attack while playing in a rec hockey league game ... was in his 30s as was Hawks ...

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Unbelievable. Both great guys. Both at the same station. About the same age. Both pictures of health. Just a shame. RIP.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ray Lewis immediately had no comment.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh man. Oh man oh man oh man.

Thanks for punching my ticket to hell.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

His obit in the Tribune today is very indicative of how different print and TV journalism jobs are. A co-worker says of him, as a compliment: "He was a fan first and a reporter second." A snippet of that quote is in the headline.

Draft saved Draft deleted