1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago school bans lunches brought from home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 11, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sorry, storing bread for that long is gross

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

My juniors get plenty of vegetables. Sometimes I throw in some carrot sticks. Plus he has a taste for raw bell peppers, cucumbers and celery sticks. Go figure. Those are actually cheaper than bananas and apples.

3. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

If they'll eat them, that's a helluva deal.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Whoa, a bell pepper is cheaper than bananas and apples? Now that I can't believe. I pay $1 each for green bell peppers and $2 for red, orange and yellow. About once a month they put them all on sale, $1 each.

Granted, I live in an expensive place, but still...

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I love that 75% of this thread is bickering over grocery prices and math. (And yes, I know I just took part in it.)

Our best school lunches were chili and cinnamon roll day, and bierock day. Man, you didn't want to miss bierock day.

Still, we complained about school lunches like it was our job. Complaining about school lunches is as regular a part of being a kid as playing in the sprinkler during the summer. They're like freshman year college dorm rooms: of course they usually suck. It won't kill you, though, so freaking deal with it like everyone else.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

My son's lunch menu at his school today consisted of nachos with meat and cheese, small green salad and milk. There may have been peaches also, but when I saw the menu for today my first thought was "Nachos is considered a suitable and healthy lunch?"

The last thing I would call most school lunches is nutritious. Luckily for us, our kid is allowed to bring lunches on days when he won't eat the food (like the nasty fish sticks day or the eggrolls day).

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

you're right. bell peppers cost about a buck apiece where I live too. Celery and carrots much cheaper. Cucumbers somewhere in the middle.
    Point being, I have no problem finding cheap fruits and vegetables for my kids.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What is bierock besides the fine music of Sleater-Kinney?

In an informal poll of siblings with children. They all report that elementary school lunch is under a dollar. Middle school lunch runs from a dollar to $1.25 with high school checking in under two bucks.

As for the cost of nanners. Sam's Club here sells a three-pound bundle of bunches for a dollar. It works to less than a dime for one.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You know what's a cheap lunch? A handful of ketchup.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can go in to most restaurants and just load up on packets. They won't say anything.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I went to lunch with my niece at her elementary school and was stunned to hear 9-10 year olds bitch about lunch like we did when we were in college.

"Tomato soup again!"

"We had this on Monday!"

"This looks gross."

Coming for little kids it was really funny as hell.

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Even if it is healthy, what about the psychological damage of having to eat it? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that trade-off.

Draft saved Draft deleted