1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago school bans lunches brought from home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 11, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Tea Party is going to have fun with this, the clutches of the government will never cease!!

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

My youngest boy would take his own lunch to this school just because, and then he'd start a food fight with it.

3. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We used to joke that our school cafeteria made soup by pouring hot water over a tomato, it was that thin.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In junior high I once asked the lunch lady why they never served steak.

"Because it doesn't fit in a scoop," she said.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

First, I know that cities are more expensive, but $3 for a loaf of bread? I rarely pay more than $1.69.

Second, skip the lunchmeat and go straight to the spreads. Peanut butter, PB and J, apple butter (or any fruit butter, apple is just my favorite).

Third, buying bottled water? Get a reusable stainless steel bottle and use tap (or filtered tap if you really hate how your tap tastes).

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My correction on the price of my local district's school lunch. It's $2.25 now. It had been $1.25 a while back.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I already admitted my math was wrong in a follow-up post, and adjusted for the 20-slice loaf, but whatever. I often buy a banana (among other things) at my local Kroger for lunch. A single banana. Costs me about a quarter. Maybe if you buy the fancy organic bananas they're more, but my plain old Chiquita is around 25 cents.
    And I also regularly buy a one-pound package of Oscar Meyer lunchmeat. Not as good as the fresh stuff at the deli counter, not the healthiest thing on earth. But if you think the stuff they serve up in your average cafeteria is any better you're really deluding yourself.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

75 cents for a banana and $1 for an apple? Holy crap, wherever you guys live sucks.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now that we are correcting errors on this thread, can I get a ruling on whether olive loaf is a healthy processed meat since it contains not only something meatish, but also fruits and vegetables (olives and pimentos have both groups covered, right?)

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Me thinks ol' Fernando Dominguez has a bright future.

11. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I went to high school in the late '90s, and our school lunches were not even made in the building. The school district outsourced, and we had the privilege of paying nearly $5 for chicken fingers and french fries, which were frozen and reheated at the school. Of course, if you went to the grocery store, you could buy a whole bag of frozen chicken fingers and fries for $5 and make it last for a week. The day of the $1 school lunch died long, long ago in that place.

In my case, I didn't want to spend my work money on lousy, reheated chicken fingers, so I brown-bagged it. No sense in working minimum wage at 17 and blowing $25 a week on school lunches.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Where are you buying an apple for 25 cents? Costs a dollar and up where I live.

Draft saved Draft deleted