1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago school bans lunches brought from home

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 11, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is messed up. I assumed it was going to be to protect a child with a peanut allergy or some other reason like that when I saw the headline.

But no, it's because, "Nutrition wise, it is better for the children to eat at the school. It's about the nutrition and the excellent quality food that they are able to serve."

Sorry, but that's taking the nanny state a step too far.

Oh, and the link is worth clicking on for the lede alone. Funny as hell.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She's probably correct. Not sure that she's right, however.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well put.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I lived a block from our school and went home for lunch every day from fifth grade on. My parents weren't home so every day I fixed myself a lunch. Sandwich, chips, pickle, soda. Ate, watched Supermarket Sweep or Chain Reaction, and walked out the door about three minutes before we had to be back for class.

Today of course, even in that small school, kids can't leave the school grounds at noon. I think it's the post-Columbine thing. Not sure about brown-bagging it, though.

We had a kid in our grade, Eric, who went to the bowling alley every day for lunch. And all he ate was candy and Coke. He'd come back with his mouth stuffed with Skittles and Sweet Tarts. Eric did not have the healthiest lifestyle, maybe someone should have stepped in and force-fed him a glass of milk and banana.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Let's see, are there also budget problems involved in this school?

If there is, I can see why they'd be trying to get every bit of revenue they can.

Frankly, I think it's ridiculous. What about families who don't make much money, but fall above the threshold for free or reduced-price lunches? If it's $1.25 for lunch, it's an extra $25 per month that the parents have to take out of their pockets.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How can you send your kid to school with a lunch that costs under 1.25?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What utter tripe.

I'd look to get a doctor's note affirming kid's need to eat independently.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The concern about nutrition is a steaming pile of horseshit.

This is nothing more than a money grab on the part of the school.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's what it cost when I was in school. It was 75 cents when I was in first grade and it went from that to 90 cents to a buck to $1.25 when I was in sixth grade. Nice to see it hasn't budged since then. I am against them forcing people to buy lunch, but it's hard to beat the price.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Not once did I eat a school lunch.

11. nmsports

nmsports Member

It is infrequent that nutritious and school lunch belong in the same sentence.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My elementary school made a killer grilled cheese. I would buy about twice a month, when they served that and when they served chicken fried steak. Beyond that, I almost always brought my lunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted