1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago police superintendent Garry McCarthy fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do others notice that he seems to stumble back toward the center line? It's very subtle, but I think it's obvious once you see it.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Dick, leave the subtleties to the law-enforcement officials among us.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I just watched it a few more times to make sure I'm not missing it (and I'm loathe to watch another man die if I don't have to). I don't see it.

I'll allow that people sometimes see what they want to see, so maybe my own biases are clouding my view. However, if that stumble is there as you say, it's nearly imperceptible. Certainly not such an aggressive action as to warrant 16 rounds.

I think you're looking for a reason this officer did what he did and you want to see the good in him, and I don't blame you for that. But it's just not there. He executed McDonald.

If we accept that officers should use whatever force is reasonably necessary to effect an arrest or protect themselves (or others) from imminent harm, this officer clearly went far beyond that edict.

cranberry and SnarkShark like this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The 16 shots are bad enough, but watching the video, he's down and not moving after nine shots. Then there's a pause, and then seven more shots. What. The. Fuck.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That is fake audio.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Matters none to tony.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Rahm needs to resign. He has lost the faith of the community.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Covering up what may be a murder to make sure he was re-elected wasn't so bad, but now that he has lost the faith of the community, how can he be trusted?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    YankeeFan likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted