1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago police superintendent Garry McCarthy fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that's largely a red herring. We've talked about this on here. Once you decide to shoot, you shoot to kill.

2. Dick Whitman

I don't have a position here. I am interested to hear what Van Dyke has to say. But I'm saying that based on the actions of the powers-that-be here, it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't going to charge him because they either don't personally think he committed a crime, or they think there's enough reasonable doubt about it that a jury is likely to acquit.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I know I would have just shot him once -- in the calf.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Which would have been horribly excessive and criminal in its own right.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

OK, the toe. But the pinkie toe.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Thank heavens he killed him five times, then.

The guy was surrounded by cops at that point. Kill him if you must,
    but if you shoot him 16 times, don't wonder why you have an image problem.

7. Dick Whitman

What is the acceptable number of shots to fire in a situation in which an officer fears for his life?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can see from Dick's posts that this is how it's going to play out in court ... the guy's getting off.

But I've always felt the cop in South Carolina would get off too, and recent developments there have only strengthened that belief.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nah, most people would have shot the knife out of his hand, just like in the movies.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ummm, really?

11. Dick Whitman

Absolutely.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, I'm thinking about this more beyond my initial knee-jerk reaction. I can maybe get behind your sentiment if it means cops pulling the trigger less frequently.

But since that's not realistically going to happen, what say we work on having officers avoid emptying their magazine into a guy who is walking away and then trying to reload before getting stopped (for the record, I do not see the move toward the officer as you describe it)?

Draft saved Draft deleted