1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago MLB writer needed for season-long gig

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by ero1177, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ero1177

ero1177 New Member

The Northwest Herald, a perennial APSE Top 10 section for a decade, is seeking a freelance reporter to cover Chicago's Major League Baseball clubs.

This is a contract position that will last through the duration of the MLB regular season. The reporter will cover five games a week and file one feature story a week. They also are the primary writer for our "Payoff Pitch" Chicago baseball blog and Twitter feed. They will be paid per story and blog entry.

The successful candidate should have some MLB coverage experience and understand how to use their access to the players and personalities and behind-the-scenes details to create interesting stories for our readers. Coverage should be up-to-the minute online and analytical, original, and intriguing in print.

The Northwest Herald is based in Crystal Lake, Ill., about 40 mi. from downtown Chicago. The person who takes this job most likely will need to live in Chicago.

If you're interested, please send a resume and clips to Eric Olson, sports editor, PO Box 250, Crystal Lake IL 60039-0250, or e-mail it to eolson@nwherald.com.

2. jwinters

jwinters New Member

Any update on this gig? Anyone who applied hear back?

3. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

I've emailed twice and sent a private message about staffing some of the road games when the teams are in my city and heard nothing. I'm assuming that since they're hiring a freelancer to do the home games, they won't be traveling with the teams. Perhaps Mr. Olson can clarify that information for us sometime.

Draft saved Draft deleted