1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago: HS baseball game forfeited due to "worried parents".

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 28, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How bout the fall or winter, or after the season ends? They didn't start playing games until March 15 and are done the first week of May.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If we're talking about the SATs, they're offered a number of times during the year, and only one of them looks to be during baseball season:

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-reasoning/register/test-dates

There's also plenty of time to visit colleges outside of baseball season. Or, you arrange it with your coach.

But, if you skip a game or a practice, you should expect to be suspended.

But, let's be honest. This is about rich, spoiled kids/parents not used to be held to anything. And, it's much more likely that they missed games and/or practices for SAT prep classes, and not the actual test.

3. LongTimeListener

Yep to your last paragraph. As I said on Page 1, baseball parents are motherfuckers.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

SAT prep classes. LMAOOOOOOOOO

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wonder if the parent is truly speaking for all team parents? Or is it like the times I've seen the situation here, some parental units mad over PT?

I shudder for HR people worldwide 5-6 years from now, trying to explain to every helicopter parent why little Thurston or Lourdes wasn't hired or doesn't start with a corner office.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Including the June date (when teams play in playoffs), there's two days out of 2 1/2 spring season months (April, May, half of June) where there's an SAT. Not looking it up, but I assume the ACT is similiar. So that's four days out of 2 1/2 months. Take out two nights for, let's say, a prom for each class, and that's six days out of 2 1/2 months for there to be no baseball. It's not that hard to look on a calendar and not schedule a game/practice for essentially one week out of ten.

Also, kids who are accepted to more than one school probably want another visit to decide which one they want to choose. That usually leaves springtime for them to have time to go.

7. LongTimeListener

Now you need two visits to a college? Cripes.

Baron, the person in authority is not automatically wrong every time. If you want to be on a high school varsity team, you commit to being there when the team plays. That is unbelievably simple and has been so forever.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Some students do visit the same school a second time. Or for juniors, spring is when they visit for a first time.

I agree, playing on a team is a commitment. But at the same time, the coach/school has to also consider that sports are extracurricular activities, and there are certain things, such as standardized tests, that take precedence over the 20th practice of the season.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just had to look up the record on Maxpreps. 0-7 league, 0-12 season (a few games unreported). And I'm surprised because?

10. Starman

And to get back to page 1 of the thread: WGAF why an 0-12 HS baseball team cancels out of a game?

One thing is sure, if I were the Brooks coach/AD/principal, I would say, "fuck this 'reschedule' shit. We won the previous game by forfeit. If you want to play another game just to get a game in, fine, but when you didn't show up for the previous game, we win by forfeit. Don't like it? Show up for your games."

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Without more info, I'm going to guess that if you make plans, and let the coach know/ask him for permission far enough in advance, the coach would probably understand.

Especially if you didn't abuse it. Especially if you missed a practice or two.

But, the coach is also within his right to not start, or not play, a player who misses a practice. Especially if you've missed multiple practices.

Just like docquant's student/cheerleader, or your friend who worked at Walmart (or whatever), decisions come with consequences. Sounds to me like thse kids (and parents) don't like that.

12. Starman

Oh, by the way, no player on an 0-12 high school baseball team in an inner-city league has any future, whatsoever, at all, in baseball beyond the community college level.

So you can save the recruiting videos, dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted