1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago: HS baseball game forfeited due to "worried parents".

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Apparently the basketball parents or "leadership issues" didn't keep Payton's boys basketball team from playing some high schools in sketchy neighborhoods.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/payton-college-prep-grizzlies-(chicago,il)/basketball/schedule.htm

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The timing is certainly odd, but the fact School A doesn't want to play a road game at School B is hardly new.

Back when I was in school 30 years ago, there was one school on our schedule that we would play on Saturday afternoon, because there was no way we were driving a bus into that neighborhood at night.

So if the parents were concerned about their kids' safety, fine, just don't go. It's a freakin' ballgame. Life will go on with or without it.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I could actually make a wrestling reference to this, but I don't feel like being blamed for another thread-jack.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Same with us. My last two years of high school (25 years ago), our basketball games with our closest rival were played on Saturday afternoon at 1 for this same reason. In the previous year, too many disruptions in the stands.

I actually loved the Saturday atmosphere when we would go to their school (tough neighborhood). Police walking us from the bus to the gym door.

As a parent, I wouldn't like it, though.

I also wonder how much of it is baseball vs. other sports. At least with basketball, the focus for 32 minutes is on the court. Baseball has so much "dead time" but, by the final two innings, the visiting parents would just be looking at their watches - waiting to get the hell out of there.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Slow. Mother. Fucking. Clap.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Note the date of the game.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let the healing begin!

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Says you should man up, Baron.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Baron Scicluna

Actually, I was thinking of this guy:

http://www.pro-wrestlers.com/bios/display_article.php?id=0000000052

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

The despicable Payton parents use their kids to ask the Walter Payton College Prep's baseball coach to resign. Typical BS from baseball parents who blame the coach for exposing their refusal to play a scheduled game. Not a smart move by Jonathan Shapiro to go on record and allow your son, a senior whose HS career ends in two weeks, to get involved in trying to get rid of the head coach. Especially when your son hopes to play baseball in college. I hope Coach Wittleder has a talk with the college baseball program that Shapiro's son tries to join.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/19873394-418/parent-some-payton-players-want-beleaguered-coach-out.html

recruiting tape of the son:

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What a load of crap:

When you sign up for a team, you make a commitment to that team.

College visits are scheduled. Don't schedule them when you have a game or practice. And, if you do, expect to be suspended.

Studying for tests? Bullshit.

These kids and parents have a lot of nerve.

And, what's with the father speaking to the reporter? Junior didn't have the balls to speak for himself?

Holy fuck, what a bunch of spoiled babies.

12. Baron Scicluna

The standardized and placement tests are also scheduled for a certain date and time. Kids should pass up taking the SATs to play a game?

Also, teams practice nearly every day. When are they supposed to schedule time to visit schools when they're practicing and playing six days a week?

Draft saved Draft deleted