1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago: HS baseball game forfeited due to "worried parents".

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So it's the media's fault, even though the coach told reporters the game was canceled because of parent concerns?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The funny thing is, Payton is wedged between a really nice neighborhood, and Cabrini Green. (Heck, Munchies, where the owner was murdered is right behind it.) And, outside of Payton's baseball games, I think you'd have a tough time finding a white person in Seward park, where they play their home games.

Suburban schools would probably be afraid to play there.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why the hell is the coach "telling reporters" why a HS baseball game is canceled anyway?

We have games canceled all the time and frankly nobody really gives a shit why.

4. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Having worked an assignment that took me all through Roseland, I can say that if I were a parent of those kids, yeah, I'd be worried. That neighborhood is no joke. The guy I was there writing about was from Roseland. He lives on the North Side of Chicago now, but his mother still lived in Roseland. I rolled up in there by myself. I called the guy as I did. "Keep your head down, brother," he said, laughing. "Keep your head down." I don't think it was the high school in question here, but there was a high school right beside this guy's mother's house, and on every corner of every block in about a half-mile radius, there were police officers or volunteer community watch members with radios. The police closed down the streets immediately beside the high school. Blocked them off with their cars and had officers out there with rifles and everything. When I got to the mom's house, I asked her what was going on. She said, "Oh, that's just every day." She said they had to or else kids would be fighting, robbing, and maybe even killing each other as soon as they got outside the school. A lot of it has to do with gangs and territories and all that jazz, but a lot of it is also just life in the area these days. Another guy I was working with on the story has gone down to Haiti to do work before. He said that Roseland is "just Haiti with wider streets."

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Dooley just put you on ignore.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Well, the South Side of Chicago is the baddest part of town. If you go down, you better just be aware.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

of a man named Leroy Brown.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I imagine a South Side team would be scared spitless to play a baseball game in Naperville.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

There is always so much talk about how inner city kids don't have access to the equipment needed to play baseball.

In the police reports I read, there are plenty of baseball bats, random children and vacant lots in most of America's inner cities. Just drop off some balls and gloves and you're good to go.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Cool post, racist.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Copy editors of the world, unite!

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted