1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago gets chance for 2016 Olympic bid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course those same Eurosnobs are forgetting that the IOC had to beg LA to take the Games in 84 because the only country that wanted them that year was Iran. The 84 LA Games saved the Olympic Movement.

I think Chicago has a reasonably good shot at getting the 16 Games because that will mark the 20th year since the Summer Games were last held in North America The IOC loves that American TV money..

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The IOC also loves the American sponsorship dollars.

And yes, it will be fun to see just how much corruption there is if Chicago gets the Games.

3. Armchair_QB

Be pretty cool if Chicago picked football as a demonstration sport in 2016.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Just what is the Olympic Movement, anyway? It is like NASCAR Nation? Hockeytown? A bowel movement?
    Over-under on indictments from the Chicago Olympic Construction Swag Festival: 42.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't think a silver medal would be cool.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

South America's never had it, right? Got to make Rio the favorite.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I don't think they would, considering Vancouver is hosting the 2010 games. If Vancouver did not get the games, then Toronto would have bid for any summer games until they got one. I do hope Vancouver does not end having a 30 year debt like Montreal.

8. Armchair_QB

Rio's chances will be doomed or improved depending on how it handles hosting the Pan-Ams this year.

There is a really good chance Brazil will host the 2014 World Cup as no other country has submitted a bid and the bid process closes in the next few days. If Brazil gets the Cup I can't see it being able to host the Olympics two years later.

Draft saved Draft deleted