1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago gets chance for 2016 Olympic bid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Apr 14, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

From living there. First hand knowledge is the best knowledge.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Another poor hijack attempt.

Yawn ... SportsJournalists.com's own terrorist.

Good for Chicago, but I think Rio is the front runner.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

As a Chicagoan, my reaction was -- please for the love of all that is holy don't let the Olympics come here. My wife's reaction, too.

I can already hear the Daley-connected pigs piling up outside the trough door. The same ones who got Millennium Park done years late and billions over budget. It's no wonder the USOC thought Chicago would be best as a bidder. What other city could excel in a process that relies on currying political favor, bribery and experience at spending a lot of other people's money for the benefit of a few?

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The city has nothing to do with anything when it comes to where the Olympics will be held.

The key is where can the Olympics turn the biggest profit. That gives Chicago a huge edge over everywhere else.

In addition, with Rio and Brazil as a whole suppsedly hosting the 2014 Soccer World Cup, there's very little chance the Olympics shows up two years later. There's no way the infrastructure of the city/country can handle it.

5. Sly

Sly Active Member

Sorry to break it to you, Headbutt, but baseball is no longer an Olympic sport. Though there's a chance for a resurrection in '16. Maybe having Wrigley and Comiskey available will convince them of that.

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Don't underestimate the power of Qatar's oil money. The Qataris have tons of it and have often displayed a willingness to throw it around.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's also the Muslim equivalent of Las Vegas. If a Middle Eastern nation were to ever host the Olympics, it would be Qatar.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't understand how Chicago would pull a bigger profit than Los Angeles, considering LA would only have had to build a velodrome, with everything else already at least existing and possible to renovate. That said, I like that Chicago is up for it; we shouldn't have the two coasts always be the center of our international sporting events.

And Bob Cook nailed it re: Chicago's sleazy as hell political reputation. This will be great for those in our business, as it has great potential to make Salt Lake City look like a nuns' convention.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Sly, that's why my second statement was sarcasm. The IOC, in their infinite dipshitedness, done fucked that idea up.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We're still paying for Montreal 30 years later.

Be careful what you wish for, Chicago.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The U.S. won't get another Summer Games before 2040.

The Eurosnobs who run the IOC are still pissed the U.S. got two within 12 years (L.A. 1984, Atlanta 1996), and screwing the U.S. is now an Olympic sport in itself. It'll either go to Rio or Rome, is my guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted