1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago football reporter (Shaw Media)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JonStyf, Feb 21, 2014.

1. JonStyf

JonStyf Member

This is a new position.

Job Title: Chicago Football Reporter

Shaw Media is looking for a seasoned NFL sportswriter to join its team covering the Bears.

Longtime Pro Football Weekly editor and publisher Hub Arkush joined Shaw Media prior to the 2013 NFL season to cover the Bears for its suburban Chicago newspapers and a new website, HubArkush.com. He was joined by PFW NFL beat writer Kevin Fishbain and Shaw Media Chicago sports columnist Tom Musick.

After a successful 2013 season, we're growing.

The newest member of the team will supplement our Bears coverage by writing in-depth features and enterprise stories on Bears players and issues relevant to the team and the NFL; report on breaking news stories for our website and daily newspapers; and offer analysis of the Bears' performance, coaching and direction. He/she should be just as comfortable in front of a video camera as behind a keyboard. And he/she must be willing to engage our audience on social media, and to provide links to their online stories on Twitter, Facebook and other social media accounts.

Ideal candidates will be able to work in a team environment to plan and produce content on deadline, and be able to tell interesting, focused stories that will appeal to smart football fans of all ages. Our sportswriters are expected to generate their own story ideas as well as take assignments from editors.

At least a year of professional NFL reporting experience is preferred. Solid knowledge of AP Style and grammar required, as is the ability to write clear, concise copy. Must have a valid drivers license, dependable transportation and proof of insurance. Experience with the Web and multimedia is a plus.

Shaw Media offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefit package.

Interested candidates are invited to send their resume with six clips to:
    Editorialrecruitment@shawmedia.com

For all Shaw Media career opportunities visit: http://www.shawsuburbanmedia.com/careers/

Shaw Media is a Drug Free Employer.
    Pre-employment background check and drug screen required.
    This posting may not include all duties of the position.
    Equal Opportunity Employer

2. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Very good small paper sports section. Jon is a great editor. NFL beat.

Obviously a fantastic job for somebody in the Chicago area, JO.

3. welch10

welch10 New Member

Any idea how pertinent the one year of NFL experience is?

4. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Dang it. This is a dream job for someone like me. But I have not been a NFL beat writer before. This is the type of job I dreamed I would have when I went to college.

*Edited because apparently, my hands are too big for my phone's touch-screen keyboard.

5. JonStyf

JonStyf Member

As an FYI, I am not hiring this position. The Chicago football group is a separate entity from the individual Shaw papers, though Tom Musick does work for the Northwest Herald and covers a lot of things outside of Bears football. I do, however, work with this group on a regular basis.

It appears like NFL experience is preferred but, as with any job, you can't be considered if you don't apply. So, if you think you're a good fit, I would apply ASAP. No one can really gauge how much of a factor that experience will play in the hiring process until the entire pool of candidates has applied.

6. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

Good point. I applied since its a job I put down as a goal when graduating college five years ago. It goes back to the theory that you fail 100 percent of the time you don't try.

7. welch10

welch10 New Member

I've applied for many jobs that say 5-10 years experience and so forth. It never hurts. The worst that happens is they tell you no. But as a journalist you should have tough skin, anyways. So hearing that isn't so hard to take.

That being said, I put in for this one. Would love to get a crack at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted