1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Cubs writer|Chicago Sun Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jetlife, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Jetlife

Jetlife New Member

The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago news organization, with a laser focus on telling stories that matter to the working people of Chicago. We are seeking an experienced sports beat writer to cover the Chicago Cubs — a job that will require the successful candidate to break news, get the behind-the-scenes story, effectively use social media, embrace multiplatform reporting and travel with the team.

Responsibilities
    • Provide factual, accurate, fair and balanced coverage of the Cubs organization, including its players, front office and ownership, and Major League Baseball
    • Break news, both on the Cubs and MLB
    • Write a mix of stories, including “instant gamers,” analysis stories and longer human-interest features, including features for the Sun-Times’ innovative Sports Saturday edition
    • Be the face of our Cubs coverage, both in print and online through podcasts and, in some cases, video reporting
    • Work with the Sun-Times audience and visual teams to develop video, infographics and other interactive elements that engage both digital and print readers — with some of these elements to be used to promote stories on social media
    • Use social media to interact with fans, including during games, and to promote one’s work
    Skills Required
    • Write clearly on tight deadlines and thrive in breaking-news situations
    • Produce multiple daily stories with multiple elements (text, photo, video)
    • Team player with excellent news judgment
    • Highly self-motivated and self-directed
    Requirements
    • Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field
    • Experience covering a major pro or college beat for a daily news organization is a must
    • Commitment to work long hours following team at home and on the road — and during weekends and holidays
    • Ability to travel nationally and to Canada
    • Working knowledge of social media, including Twitter and Facebook
    All candidates must submit five to 10 samples of work to provide evidence of the ability to excel in this position. Please send these clips or links to your work — along with a resume and cover letter with “Cubs beat reporter” in the subject line — to cdeluca@suntimes.com and jobpostings@suntimes.com. (No phone calls, please.)

Posted: 2/14/2019

Deadline to apply: 2/28/20

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Is this to be Gordo's backup or replacement?

3. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

Apparently, replacement. Just reported today he's going to NBC Sports Chicago.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"The Chicago Sun-Times is a distinctly Chicago news organization, with a laser focus on telling stories that matter to the working people of Chicago."

This last phrase made me smile.

My grandfather (rest in peace) used to send me down to the 7-Eleven to buy the paper when I stayed at his house. He was a loyal Sun Times reader.

One time they were out of the Sun-Times so I bought the Tribune. He explained to me that it was the paper read by bosses and fat cats, and not the newspaper for "regular people."

He was also one of those Democratic voters who had been voting straight-ticket since FDR, even though many of his views were conservative. I wonder what he would have thought of Trump.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted