1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago cops: Our give a damn's busted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 18, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well, this is certainly encouraging.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iYZDAgFJqNQe0B4lf5CtGntHV-qwD9399C7G0

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They are giving it the Billings effort.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So the flip side headline could be:

Fewer innocent people hassled by cops

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He is very proud.

[​IMG]

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another fine institution run into the ground by a guy named Weis.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No, the cops ran it into the ground the moment Weis was appointed. Richard Daley brought him because the constant cop scandals were getting to be an embarrassment. It was hard to ignore when on the news you saw, say, drunken cops beating petite barmaids into the ground for not serving them an extra drink. Weis was brought in to shake things up, and he has. I just don't think he understood the blowback his mere presence would get, especially because he had never been a street cop.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I other words, "if I can't beat up some suspects without being accused of brutality, I'm not gonna other arresting anyone."

These guys would love working for Rudy Guiliani, then they could do whatever they wanted and he'd "back them up"

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Let me add, please, that I know some Chicago cops from when my kids went to Catholic school. (Our school was on the suburban side of a dividing line from a cop/city worker neighborhood.) I don't mean to represent the whole of Chicago cops as asshole supremes, because the guys I knew were nice and cool-headed. However, I remember them saying the reason they sent their kids to this school, instead of their own parish schools, was because the other cops and their kids were such jackholes.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't want to live in a city where asshole cops can't hassle innocent civilians on a hunch, dammit!

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Props for that.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Me, as well . . . if the reference is to who I think it is.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was a Notre Dame joke. Didn't mean to touch a nerve. Geez.

Guess I should've said this:
    What do the Chicago police department and Notre Dame football have in common?
    Both are a group of assholes headed up by a guy named Weis.

Draft saved Draft deleted