1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago cop sued for asking woman on a date

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

What the cop did was wrong. He used his position of power in an improper manner.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Jesus, didn't you guys see "Stakeout?" ... that's how it's done.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Never trust the police. They are not your friend. It's one of the most valuable lessons a kid should learn. If they get in trouble and the cops want to question them tell them not to answer without an attorney present.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Batman, I cannot believe that you think it is OK for this guy to abuse his power and look up her personal information at the DMV.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Easily solved if your kid does not break the law.

6. Boom_70

Your kid might not know he is breaking the law. Let's say your kid innocently accepts a ride home from school with a friend. Friend gets pulled over and it turns out he has pot in car. Your kid knew nothing about.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Bill Clinton calls bullshit.

8. Boom_70

NOW disagrees

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I said the guy should be disciplined for it. I wouldn't even have a problem if he were fired for it. Obviously, it's an abuse of power.
    That said, he didn't harass the woman. He didn't call her, appear at her doorstep or work, didn't stalk her or threaten her. He left a note, the text of which even said, "I'll understand if you don't call back."
    That was it.
    If that's worthy of being hit with a lawsuit, then courtship and romance in this country are in worse shape than I thought.
    Plus, what if he hadn't gone through the DMW or whatever he used, but instead jotted down her name and looked her up on the internet? At what point does a romantic gesture become offensive?

And FWIW, here's the text of the note according to the story:

I've written more salacious introductory e-mails than that to women on Match.com.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

What in the hell does that have to do with trusting the cops? The kid should have been taught not to get in the car with people he doesn't trust.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm going to say there is a much greater chance that your kid knew the buddy smoked the herb.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I also said it was not worth a lawsuit. But looking my information up at the DMV by a cop IS stalking. Plain and simple.

And I'm sorry, but that letter is a bit creepy.

Draft saved Draft deleted