1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago cop sued for asking woman on a date

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Suburban Chicago cop tickets a woman and is smitten with her. He tracks her down through motor vehicle records and leaves a sweet note on her car at her apartment asking for a date.
    She sues, saying he violated her privacy, "used his position as a police officer to stalk" her, and the letter caused her to "suffer great fear and anxiety."
    There is no evidence (at least from the story) that the cop did anything but track her down and leave a note.
    Good lord, what is this world coming to?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/01/Woman-sues-cop-for-ticketing-her----then-asking-her-out-596856/1

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I gotta tell you, if that were me, I would be bothered by it as well. Would I sue for "great fear and anxiety"? No, but there better be some disciplinary action for the officer. Tracking a person down like that is creepy and borders on stalking.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

How did he know that she is single?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds like somebody just saw Bridesmaids.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

'effin Patriot act strikes again.

This cop should have known better. He should be fired.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

I asked this on my FB once - If you're covering a story, is it appropriate to ask out someone you've interviewed? The general rule of thumb seemed to be that it's OK as long as it's not someone you're really going to have a working relationship with that much (i.e. a teacher vs. a town council member), and that you should try to do it on two separate occasions (i.e. don't ask them out the same day you interview them).

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Did the officer have an inexplicable Irish accent?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Officer Nathan Rhodes weeps.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As a teenager, I worked at Radio Shack. Working there requires you to ask for address information, so the catalogue could be emailed to customers.

A very attractive woman came in one day, and a co-worker was absolutely smitten with her. Now, getting the info did not require you to ask for a phone number. But he looked her up in the book, cross-referenced the address and called her.

I don't know what happened from there, because our manager heard the story and immediately fired him. On the spot. That was considered a major violation of company policy. So, if a Radio Shack employee couldn't do it 20 years ago, I can't imagine a cop could now -- no matter how positive his intentions.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I think that the fact that this was a cop somehow makes it even worse than that. He is in a position of authority and is a public servant.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Cops looking up people's info for their own personal use is a terrible idea. I say this, and I trust police a lot more than most people.

It's an awful precedent to set.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How he went about getting the info? Yeah, he ought to be disciplined (at the very least) for that.
    But shouldn't intent mean something here? He was asking for a date. The note he left was very innocent, even a little sweet, and no sane person could think there was anything about it that rose to the level of harrassment. Hell, all she had to do was say "no" or just not call him back.
    Is the cop supposed to live the life of a monk just because he's a public servant? You never know where or when love can hit. If this woman had said yes instead of suing, and they'd hit it off, it'd be a great love story.

Draft saved Draft deleted