1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chi Trib don't know black men?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Mar 20, 2007.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was surprised a couple of month ago to hear that Orientals was offensive. I drive through Asian areas a lot and there are signs on the building: Oriental food. Oriental massage. Oriental market, oriental gifts. So what gives?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, if caucasians can be called "whites," why is there a problem with "blacks"? There are quite a few terms for blacks that are very much vicious, let alone negative. "Blacks" seems a quite neutral term, like "whites"

3. boots

boots New Member

Lets see: Jigs, spooks, boogers, darkies, please feel free to join in at any time.

4. dooley_womack1

Um, your point, if any?

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Calm down, boots. You know how these threads can spin out of control.

6. boots

boots New Member

Dools, even you can see that words are vicious.

7. dooley_womack1

I didn't say they weren't; I said there were many vicious terms; you misread me. And in a sense, you made my point, that "black" is a very neutral term, especially compared with some of the alternatives.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I really thought this was a pretty widely known thing. But here goes:

"Oriental" can be used to describe things: "An Oriental rug," is, for some reason, the example I've always heard. "Asian" is used to describe people. Though I'm not entirely sure why this makes sense, every Asian person I've ever known has been a stickler for it.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Hard to believe I got through that whole post without a "tiny Asian wife" reference...

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sort of the same reason ``colored people'' is taboo but ``people of color'' is OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted