1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chi Trib don't know black men?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Mar 20, 2007.

1. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

There are oriental rugs and oriental food. There are Japanese, Laotian, Hmong, Chinese, Russians and many other groups of people. "Oriental" has not been in common usage since the late 50s/early 60s. So, no, it hasn't suddenly become taboo.

When was the last time Lynn Hoppes was referred to as "Oriental" without it being derogatory? There is no Oriental Journalist Association to my knowledge.

I know emails and message boards are just words, and they can be cold and mean spirited. I say that to let you know there's nothing mean spirited about this. I'm hoping to provide a little more knowledge.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Appreciate the heads up, although I honestly was not aware the term oriental was no longer used. It's a generic term for the region, like Hispanic is commonly used for those from Mexico, Central America, etc.

And for what it's worth, there are areas of the country where that term is still being used the way Hispanic is used today, and it's not meant as an insulting term, either.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not your fault, Alley. What do you expect from a squid?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yet one more instance where the PC police failed to distribute a memo to everyone letting them know a certain word or term is offensive.

I guess I stand corrected, and abased.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

It's one of those things where you have to check and not assume very often.

There are some Asians, particularly if they are not native English speakers, who might refer to themselves as Oriental. But you don't judge labels on what people call themselves; you go by what they want you to call them.

Another problem with Oriential is you would never refer to someone from Germany or England as "Occidental."

I am uncomfortable using "black" as a noun, especially in a headline. Especially if it's not necessarily.

"3 blacks arrested in drive-by shooting" uh, no

"Study: Blacks have higher rate of heart disease" I don't like it.

"Fewer blacks playing baseball" maybe

I still think it's weird that it's ok to call Latino people "papi" or "mami" in print.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Message received. I simply was unaware that the term was no longer acceptable.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What's the objection to that one? There are certain diseases that some people are more prone to than others. If it's a significant difference, it has to be noted, and our health and science writers have to find out why.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I don't like the use of "black" as a noun.

When I hear it, it sounds harsh to me and conjures up the old KKK guy on Stern talking about "da black."

I think it's best to try to avoid it. I realize head specs make it difficult. If you could say
    "black men" or "black women" or "African-Americans" it would be better in about 99 percent of all cases.

Incidentally, there is no acceptable diminutive for Japanese or Italian. As far as I know, you could use "Brits" or "Czechs" or "Poles."

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If "eye-tals" is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

10. boots

boots New Member

And you are rarely right.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Why is African-American better? That's very USA-centric (is Rick Fox African-Canadian?) not to mention insulting to people who don't like that term, and I know of several. But I do agree, writing or saying "blacks" sounds insulting, as does "Jews." It's just the negative connotations.

12. boots

boots New Member

Why not just say darkies?

Draft saved Draft deleted