1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chi Trib don't know black men?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Mar 20, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Several posts later and nobody has challenged this?

Look, it's sloppy, it's bad, it's a newspaper sin ... it's many bad things.

But for God's sake, it's done neither deliberately nor on purpose. Aside from any other logic to the contrary, why in the hell would anybody at the Tribune want to do something that would generate a discussion like this?

They're mistakes, and it's a disturbing pattern of them -- but mistakes nonetheless, not intentional.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Everyone else just wanted to ignore Scoop sportsbruh and hope he'd go away.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sorry, my bad.

4. chester

chester Member

Actually, I think Ace did so back on the first page of the thread.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

As did I, midway through page 2.

Made a real impact, I see...

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Today's Tribune ran this headline over some baseball notes: 'Dpdgers pick up Little's option'....their typo, not mine.

Bad.

7. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

That's not as bad as the NY Post calling Obama Osama.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The day Flo-Jo died, my former paper ran a mug shot of a black woman who could run really fast.

Only problem was the photo was of Jackie Joyner Kersee.

How that happened, I have no idea.

9. And Gerald Levert isn't even a hip-hop artist. ;)

I agree with dcdream. I don't think this is a case of racism, per se, but more of a general myopia that comes from being part of a majority group. Many members of a majority group see their experience as a universal one, and then are stunned when a member of a minority group presents them with an entirely different take.

Some have even said, "What the hell do you mean, you don't know who blah blah blah is?" As if the minority is inherently out of touch -- but let the minority say "Well, do you know who XYZ is?" and the "majority" member will rarely see it as an example of his lack of perspective.

White = mainstream, so "everyone" is supposed to know about white culture... but many whites don't feel they have to have knowledge of other groups.

I think the Tribune and other papers that make these mistakes probably fall into the "they all look alike" trap... not necessarily a racist mindset, but more of privilege mindset.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I still remember the time there was a development with one of the righthanded pitching Forsch brothers, and AP sent out a photo of the wrong one.

Must have been done to throw everyone off the secret racial plot.

11. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Sorry to interrupt the thread, but was that "Orientals" a joke? Or did I miss the part of the thread where this was corrected?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not intended as a joke, onemore, just using it for the sake of the argument. If the word makes you uneasy, I'll happily change it to Asian. Meant nothing by it.

That being said, what's wrong with it? I mean that genuinely. Did the term oriental suddenly become taboo?

Draft saved Draft deleted