1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chi Trib don't know black men?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Deliberately and on purpose. Well, someone must put a stop to it then!

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You know what would be good journalism? Hire a black guy so when you have a photo of some black dude who's not idenfitied, he'll tell you who it is.

Problem solved!

Geez, I hope we don't get a whole lot more Asians in baseball or that will be another minority hire we'll have to make to keep the cutlines correct.

3. boots

boots New Member

I know you are joking Ace but that's one reason why so many more hispanic guys are covering major league baseball.

4. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

I think Kevin Gamble was on the Heat in NBA Jam ... oops, wrong thread.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Yeah, it's really Lou Freedman's fault that the desk can't make correct photo IDs. ::)

Just another case of a know-nothing talking -- or writing -- out of his ass.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

He's heating up...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's just a matter of copy editors of any race being more attentive. It's a reflection of a gap in the Trib's system, not a wanton racism, I'm sure. Like at any place, workers want to do the best job they can, get paid, and go home and/or get drunk. I really don't thing a journalist in general can muster a nefarious agenda.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

See, this is the problem I have with thinking of this type. We assume that a black person will automatically be able to identify another black person. What if a black person didn't know who Keenan Ivory Wayans is (unlikely, but still...)?

It's sloppiness on the part of the Trib. Is it racist? Sorry, I don't buy it, unless you can show that the Trib has a history of this, involving virtually only black men.

That whole notion of not being able to tell black people apart is ridiculous and the same argument is made about Hispanics, Orientals and, yes I have heard it, whites. It's a bullshit argument.

10. boots

boots New Member

Alley, the Trib has a horrible reputation for doing stupid shit like this. As for the racial thing, no a black copy editor can't identify everyone no more than a white one.
    As for my statement, it's sad but I have to stand by it. Too many times, I've heard black and hispancics lumped into stereotypes by a white person who was robbed by someone black or hispanic.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Oh I agree with you on that point, Boots...whites are definitely guilty, as a whole, of lumping all Hispanics, blacks, Asians, etc. I just thing it's a shame people automatically try to make it a racial thing.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Interesting study. However, I would like to have seen how black participants would have done recognizing white (or Hispanic) participants, since virtually all the respondents were white, with a couple of Asian participants as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted