1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chi McBride: Recession proof (i.e. Human Target running thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jan 20, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I swear this guy is on a new show every year. Seems like he's been working non-stop on short-lived shows since emerging on Boston Public.

Anyway, I know there was a bit of discussion about this on the 24 thread, but I'm hooked, if only for the 80s-esque opening credits music. Who has opening credits music anymore on network TV? Even better that it sounds like it's straight from a Glen Larson show (Hardy Boys, I'm thinking). Awesome.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The opening credits were like a cross between Wild Wild West, Bond and Mannix. I'm glad they gave Jackie Earle Haley a piece in this show, a hairpiece I mean. That guy looks like he'd freeze to death shooting that thing in Vancouver.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying it. I'm pissed my DVR didn't record it tonite even though I could have sworn I set up to record them all. No matter, I just joined 20 minutes in.

This is a show that will quickly deteroirate if the budget drops. I think Mark Valley could be a breakout star.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I love when Chi is on Dan Patrick's show. He does a great Christopher Walken impression.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

/killick in '03 after watching 'Keen Eddie'

/killick in '05 after watching 'Boston Legal'

/killick in '08 after watching 'Swingtown'

/killick in '10 after watching 'Human Target'

BTW, was tonight's ep a new one or just re-air of the one they showed Sunday? If it was new, I'm going to kick myself...

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was/is new.

Agree on the budget. The pilot was pretty impressive. The fight in the air vent was something I haven't seen before, and I've seen a ton of action movies.

7. statrat

statrat Member

I mentioned this in the BSG/Geek running thread, but this show is like a BSG reunion show: the folks playing Doc Cottle and 6 showed up last week, and Felix was in this week's show. Further, Bear McReary, who composed the music for BSG, also composes it for this show.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

McBride was good in Boston Public. He was great in Waiting. :)

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

I've watched the first two and they've been enjoyable, but I don't think I'll be hooked. I'm curious to see if/when they introduce a story arc that will span a few episodes.

My one complaint is that during the climatic fight in each of the episodes, they crank the score way up and it seems to really overpower what's going on. When two people are punching each other in the face, I don't want to hear the crescendo of the brass section.

10. Bringing this back to see if people are hanging on to this show. I found myself disappointed after the first two episodes after really getting interested from the promos. But the show is really growing on me. I think after the writers got through their "Die Hard" moments in episodes 1 and 2, they have progressed storylines well and made it a better show. What ye think?

11. I'm liking it more when this show is less like the A-team and the good guys (especially Jackie Earl Haley) pull the occasional heel move. The show seems better to me when the good guys show a bit of a dark side.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's pretty cool, like an modern Adventures of Briscoe County. They are setting up a massive universe for Chance with all these people from his past coming out of the woodwork. Hopefully they get time to use these people on a regular basis. I doubt it will last, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted