1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I did mention the $7,500 subsidy--that is the part that costs me and you, as the people on the hook for our Federal spending.

The car lists for $40,000. A buyer got a $7,500 tax break. That would be fine if it was just a tax break in a vacuum without money shifting hands at the expense of all of us.

But GM gets $40,000; and the buyer only pays $32,500. The $7,500 difference that ends up in GM's pocket, gets tacked on to our national debt. You and I and everyone else are now responsible for it.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I was responding to Boom about the cost of leasing. Sorry for the confusion.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But welfare, medicaid and unemployment to workers not working does nothing to the national debt?

I would post a big picture, but some people might not be able to see it.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Definitely not clean energy

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How much do Americans subsidize companies in the form if U.S. military protection of global shipping routes? More than what goes to G.M for the Volt.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The total number of $7,500 tax breaks awarded to Volt buyers amounts to 0.3 percent of our national debt.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Come on, tax breaks for big oil making billions in profit thanks in part to Wall Street speculators, good. Tax breaks for what is essentially the prototype of a clean-energy car manufactured by US workers, bad.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For two reasons: 1) Our national debt is so large that no one thing looks like a big contributor anymore. It's a bit sad when we are talking about $5 million or thereabouts and it is like we are talking about Monopoly money. 2) No one was buying an overengineered (which was subsidized by all of us, too, and was WHY it was overengineered), overpriced car (despite all the happy Volt owners Magic In the Night knows and anecdotally told me about on the GM thread). In this case, you are arguing that the ends make the means OK, but only because the means disappointed the people who created the subsidy.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey, I'll support cleaner energy policies, but the government has to recognize the best way to "reduce our dependence on foreign oil" (If I had a dollar for every time I heard that phrase coming from someone in the government) is to tap OUR resources.

In short, yes. Drill baby drill. Burn baby burn. Natural gas. Coal. Drill. Frack. If it makes a difference in jobs, so be it. I don't necessarily think solar is the way to go... and I'm not talking Solyndra here. We just had a solar plant in a town about 40 miles northeast of here go bankrupt.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In what way is the Volt overpriced? The Nissan plug-in and the Ford plug-in are comparably priced.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention:

No one objects to subsidizing the cost of a car for people who make $170,000 a year, on average?

Draft saved Draft deleted