1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It doesn't, as I noted in my link above. Some people just can't comprehend English around here.

You can lease a Volt for $350 a month.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/27/autos/volt_price/index.htm

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Republicans reacting to news of American labor not being wasted on a product that, absent ridiculous government subsidies, no one wants.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And somehow, the cellphone and TV technology - and VCRs and laptops such - followed this very arc of development without absurd tax incentives for purchasers.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would think helping to bring about a cleaner environment is not altogether a bad use of tax policy.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How do we get the majority of our electricity in this country?

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The purchasers did not need tax incentives because the product was priced artificially low, due to government subsidies in the manufacturing, all of which is now done overseas. I'd rather have some tax incentives in the early stages of product development, and keep the manufacturing in the US in the long run as it becomes more efficient and cheaper.

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Fucking sluts.

9. dooley_womack1

So could one power a Volt on Paris Hilton?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Because the government money went into the research and development of these technologies at the front end. As did the government tax incentives to early licensees.

How much of the cost of starting GPS or the internet was born by government?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And somehow transitioning from oil to alternative energy sources is a much higher priority for the future of our country planet than the advancement of TVs and cellphones.

12. dooley_womack1

Hey, if it wasn't for cellphones, IJAG would be rapidly punching her thumbs into thin air while driving.

Draft saved Draft deleted