1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

From that story.

Is it any wonder this thing is a complete and utter failure?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt - both plug-in electrics - have sold in total what the Prius sold in its first year. As battery technology improves, they'll sell more.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't believe an experimental $41,000 vehicle isn't selling better in these robust economic times.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The car companies that have for decades traded on the reputation of fuel economy -- Honda and Toyota -- started out selling cars inexpensively in the U.S., knowing that if their product was good enough -- and it was -- that the American public would make them profitable over the long haul. Someone in GM's price point research department completely missed that fact. If you have to spend $40,000 in order to safe money on gas, it's not worth it.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The other all-electric plug-ins, from Nissan and Ford, are comparably priced.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

$838 a month for a car lease payment? Yeah, right. I thought my now paid off $450 payment was way too steep.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm with you, BDC. No way in hell I'd pay $800 a month for a car. Unless Vivian Ward popped out of the center console when I buckled my seatbelt.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

googling Vivian Ward...

Edit: never mind...

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why would a $40000 car lease for $800 a month?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe smallpotatoes was the target demographic.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

She told me she had three holes and two hands.

12. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

That's high... It's deep... It's transmissiony.

Draft saved Draft deleted