1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Volt a Failure - GM to Layoff 1,300

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Mar 2, 2012.

1. Announced today that due to lower than expected sales of the Chevy Volt - GM will be laying off 1,300 workers and will temporarily suspend production of the "green" vehicle.

I wonder if this announcement was delayed until after the Michigan Primaries last week.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I was going to purchase one this weekend.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Obama must have known this yesterday when he was speaking in New Hampshire.

"It's not going to be a long, smooth road. Some companies will fail. Some experiments won't work all the time. But as long as I'm president, I am not going to walk away from clean energy. I won't see the markets for solar, wind, and battery technologies go to China because some politicians don't want to take the chance on them. With or without this Congress, I'm going to do everything I can. They've got their business. I've got you."

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Chris L leads his fellow right wingers in celebrating the decline of American ingenuity and technological advancement at the expense of foreign oil imports!

6. Boom_70

Surprised GM is not selling more. At $838 per month ( over 48 months) or $1100 per for a 36 month lease it's a good deal.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Particularly in this great economy.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

As someone who comes form an oil rich province, the volt was actually a car that drew some interest form me, as in the if I was in the market to buy a new car, I would actually consider it. But I had no idea they started at $41,545 up here. That's absolutely insane, especially for a non-luxury car. They are a commuter car, that is all. Expecting to get more than $25,000 for a base model that for most families will be a second or third vehicle is ridiculous.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Call me an Earth-hater, but if I'm paying that kind of coin for a car, it's gonna peel some serious rubber and get 12 mpg.

10. Boom_70

You could be driving a BMW 750

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can peel some rubber in that car. And get about 15 mpg.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The 750 Li Hybrid electric leases for $1600/month on a 60 month lease.

Draft saved Draft deleted