1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Malibu

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Feb 25, 2010.

1. germaine

germaine New Member

I have an '06 Maxx, and I really like it. There's enough leg/head room for me (I'm 6' tall) and my dad (6'4) and brother (6'6) have both driven it...though we're all legs, so it's slightly more cramped for them. It handles well. Good power (V-6). I love the manual gear during the winter (between that and the traction control, I had no problems in the Iowa winter). Decent gas mileage. The back seat moves back for more leg room, forward for more cargo room. Cargo room is comparable to small SUVs. My one complaint is the sight line behind the driver's seat...I have to be a bit more careful checking the blind spot.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The current Corvette's interior is nothing spectacular, but it's much, much nicer than the C5's.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In most GM products, the interiors have gotten markedly worse over the past 10-15 years. Count your blessings.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The manual is one aspect clearly in Corvette's corner. Who would buy one of these with a slushbox. I know one ... ::)

5. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

there's a huge difference between the older Malibus (older than 2007) and the 08 and 09 Malibus. HUGE difference.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Fortunately, the ZR-1 is manual-only.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Seriously? In what way?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When we first got married, my wife drove a 94 Cavalier. Nobody was going to mistake it for BMW, but it at least felt solid and substantial. The seats provided support, the steering wheel had some mass to it, the gearshift likewise, etc.

Several years later, we found ourselves needing to occasionally rent a car while ours was in the shop. That meant renting a mid-2000s Cavalier that felt specifically engineered to punish you for not having more money. The steering wheel felt like a cheap piece of plastic you couldn't reliably use in a game of Crusin' USA at the bowling alley. The shifter felt like a twig. Everywhere you looked was the cheapest, crappiest materials they could find.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I rented a Cavalier in probably '05. It had no weight to it, and blew all over the road in any gusts. I definitely didn't feel safe in it.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have to admit I noticed the Malibu commercial thanks to this thread -- and "Dr" J's enthusiasm for the product.

Judging from the accolades from experts I respect, the car's a good one afterall.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The platform GM introduced to the Malibu in (I think it was) 2007 is a good one and has been recognized as such.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The Cavalier has always been a shitbox. And the generation of the rental you had was introduced in 1995, so that's not exactly an indictment of recent GM efforts.

Draft saved Draft deleted