1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Malibu

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Feb 25, 2010.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I would like you all to know that this ^ is my marriage now [/thinly veiled attempt at sympathy].
    l

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hey, at least you get good car deals.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Re: the GT-R . . . Just be careful with the launch control, and remember that until the computers were reprogrammed it used to be worse: http://bit.ly/bghZsl

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

so nobody is with me on bringing back a vintage line. Old models with the newer engines? Are we all stuck on every new model has to look like a sports car? Nobody else is a fan of the roomy and more makeout friendly bench seats?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Some can blame Nissan, and that's all well and good. But did consumers really think they could continue to do this with any vehicle and not expect the mechanical bits to fail? Hey, it's a supercar but that doesn't mean the consumer shouldn't have enough common sense to exercise some self-control.

The only thing that keeps this car from being perfect - besides the price - is the paddle shifts. But it could be that good and I could just be too old-fashioned in my preference for a manual transmission. Anything that Nissan is ballsy enough to do to knock the Z off its top sports-car platform had to be supreme. And this car appears to have accomplished the task.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

That's a good point.

To answer your question, it was FarmerJ.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'd avoid MoPar, but I don't see where Toyota's gas pedal problem is going to cripple that company long-term. Sorry. As for Hyundai and Kia, word is that their overall quality is continuing to make quantum leaps ... I still need to see and read more before I even think about either over a Honda, Nissan or Toyota.

And while I was a loyal Maxima owner for about five years - found one of the few with a nifty 5-speed stick - its reputation as a fun sedan is gone as they're not all equipped with slushboxes. Much better off with the Infiniti equivalent with rear-wheel drive or an Acura TL.

And FJ ... you have my full sympathy. Guys who discuss cars can drive women nuts. Or maybe it's all my other faults, too ...

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, in that case, what are you wearing?

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

How does the Malibu stack up against the Ford Fusion? I'm seriously looking at buying one of those since most reviews suggest its one of the better midsize sedans out there.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait. Dr. J is not a doctor? WTF?

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

According to Car and Driver's testing, the GT-R and ZR-1 have relatively similar performance numbers except for top speed (Corvette 205, Nissan 191). Not exactly embarrassing to the Corvette, which has the added advantage of an honest-to-God manual transmission.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Corvette is a great car beneath the hood; I owned a 98 C5 and loved it. But I sat in the Vette Grand Sport at the LA car show a few months back and -- the interior was identical to the one my car had a decade ago!!!

So 10 years and $40K more, and GM can't bother to update the interior???

Draft saved Draft deleted