1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Malibu

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Feb 25, 2010.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

ahhh I miss my Chevy Malibu. No, not one of the new tin can types.
    It was my first car, bought it off my nano (grandfather) for $1 my junior year of high school. 1976 Chevy Malibu. Partly covered in primer and partially covered in fresh metallic blue paint that nano and I started before I got in my first accident.
    I wish some car company would do a flashback line of cars. I miss the old box style Malibu with bench seats. Which I guess is why my second car was an Impala from the same time period which was almost identical except orange instead of blue.
    oh yeah, those cars were also made with real metal not aluminum and plastic.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Chevy made the coolest looking cars in the 50s, 60s and 70s and the ugliest pieces of crap in the 80s, 90s and 00s. The newer cars look a lot better though.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ace glad to here that you are feeling better about the Chevy line of products.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, Boom. Sorry about your Hummer.

5. Boom_70

I don't own a Hummer Ace.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Disclaimer: This is Dr. J, I sell Chevy's for a living, and farmer j and I both own Honda Accords.

Honestly the Malibu is the best American car built in recent memory. I would buy one in a second. There are four trim levels LS w/ a 4 speed, LT with a 6 speed, LT2 suede heated seats, and LTZ gives you leather. I would go with the 6 speed. I have driven all of the new cars and I think the Malibu and Accord are better than anything out there. The price of Malibu vs Honda, especially w/ rebates, makes the Malibu a no brainer. Remember to check gm.com for any offers you qualify for (if you belong to a credit union you can get supplier pricing on top of the other rebates). Foreign cars have a ton of markup in the sticker price. There are several websites that will show you the actual invoice prices of new cars. Also the warranty and gas milage of the Malibu is better.
    If you have never had ONSTAR you do not know what you are missing (in the next few years all manufactures will come out with something similar to on-star). All emergency services are great, but I like the turn-by-turn nav. Hit the button and within 15-20 secs directions are downloaded to your car. They can also open your car if you get locked out or shut it down if it is stolen.
    A used car is always an option. In general used foreign cars are over-priced and you will also pay a higher intrest rate on a used car versus a new car. REMEMBER INTREST RATES ARE NEGOTIABLE. You also never know how someone drove a pre-owned car, or maintained it. If properly maintained almost any brand of car will get you at least 100k miles. If you like the 6 cly malibu. Check out a 08 or 09 Saturn Aura. It is the same exact car and you can find a low milage used one for nothing.
    I would defiantly stay away from Toyota (they will probably drop in price in the near future), Dodge (may not exist to much longer), Hyundai (junk after about 50k miles), KIA (same as hyundai). I really like the Nissan Maxima, and the Focus is ok. VW's can be to expensive to fix.

The room in a aveo is ridiculous. We sold one to a 6-5 350lb man. He tells me people just stare at him when he gets out because that cant believe he actually fits in something so small.
    The corvette that was mentioned is a zr1. That car will smoke just about anything on the road including Porshes, Mercedes Amg, Lambo's, Ferrari's, etc.. You can buy a normal vette for half the price.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I drove a 2010 Malibu rental when I as in Arizona in December and found the driver's seat/headroom to be considerably tighter than my 2004.
    The more streamlined design looked great but I think it was done at expense of headroom.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oops, if only I had known, I wouldn't have asked what you were wearing.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I was actually thinking about getting an Aveo for driving back and forth to work. So at 5-11, 375 I should be able to comfortably drive one? They are great on gas. Plus they aren't too expensive. I'll be able to get that and keep my Durango for winter and multi-person trips.

10. Boom_70

OnStar is nice feature but at $30 a month for full service a tad pricey.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I hope this is about a vehicle.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I hear you in regards to the ZR-1, Dr. J, but the Nissan GT-R would embarrass a ZR-1 in just about every category, including price. The GT-R are a relative bargain at around $80K.

Draft saved Draft deleted