1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Malibu

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Feb 25, 2010.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I bought a loaded Malibu for my wife in November and we're extremely happy with it. It's a tight, well-engineered car. But make sure you get the bigger engine.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My parents love Malibus, they keep buying them (well, they've only had 2. But when they got rid of the first one, they went out and got another one. They just keep their cars for a long time). Their current one has had a few electrical issues (the power locks were funky for a bit, they'd randomly go up and down while driving), but that's been the only issue they've had with any of either of them. Gets great gas mileage, too. Think they get around 32 mpg on it.
    Pretty sure that when this one's time is up, they'll get another Malibu.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I drove an Edge and absolutely loved it. Maybe the nicest vehicle I've ever driven except when I used to drive my boss' Regal and Park Avenue 30 years ago. Only thing I didn't like was the price. Drove an Equinox and didn't like it nearly as much and it was almost the same price. Funny, they have trouble keeping the Equinox in stock here. Drove an Explorer and didn't like it much either. What was strange is I drove an Aveo and Cobalt and the Aveo was roomier (surprisingly roomy for such a small car) but when you factored in the rebates, the Cobalt was about $600 cheaper even though its sticker price was about $3K higher. Oh yeah, saw a Corvette for $122K. Salesman said they were going to knock a couple of grand off it to try and sell it. Thank God. I'd hate to see somebody pay $122K for a car they could have bought for $118K! And he said they sell 5-6 a year.

4. amraeder

Was along for the ride when the girlfriend test drove an Aveo a few weeks ago. Totally agree with you on it feeling super roomy for it's size. Girlfriend didn't find the seats on either to Cobalt or the Aveo to be very comfortable, though, so she soon went looking elsewhere.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In the last couple of weeks, I've replaced struts, tie rods and the rack as well as replace the serpentine belt and pulley.
    Am now leaking antifreeze; the perpetual problem of the intake manifold is rearing its head. Depenadble car for the last nine years, but things are falling apart now... still, lot to be said for no car payments.

6. amraeder

How many miles in those 9 years, Slap?

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

That's what totally sucked: I paid mine off 13 months ago. But they're giving me $6700 for an '04 with 118,000 miles so that ain't bad.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jesus. I paid $6900 for my '03 and it only had 51K miles on it.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Wife and I enjoy our '05 Malibu Maxx. Current Malibus look a lot better, and it looks like the interior has far better materials. Seriously, my '93 and '94 Saturns had better looking plastic than our Malibu.
    Sounds like the current Malibu is much improved over the last generation, but I'm not sure how they hold up. The last generation had some steering/suspension issues and the brakes tend to wear out faster than they should. Not sure if GM stepped up the level of parts with the current Malibu or not.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/index.htm

They charge for a subscription, but it's well worth it.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, get a Toyota ::)

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've had damn good luck with Chevy trucks. I'm a Chevy truck lifer. With Chevy cars, however, I've been less than impressed.

The 1999 Cavalier my mom bought back when new was a POS that she wound up just giving to her niece (my cousin) as soon as she paid it off. I've driven rental Chevys and Pontiacs and all of them seemed to ride horribly and were noisy.

Draft saved Draft deleted