1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Guy. #TechnologyAndStuff. It's a thing. A big thing.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 31, 2014.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Geez, leave it to a lawyer to make this all complicated and stuff. ;)

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Between the tax that he'll have to pay on his World Series ring and now the truck
    that will eat up all of Bumgarner's World Series paycheck.

I bet he will pay more in taxes for those 2 items then Jameis Winston paid
    in taxes on his autograph income

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

In the '70s, I lived in the same community as Dodgers OF Reggie Smith. We were in the same supermarket once and out front was the new Datsun Z he had won the previous season as the team's MVP.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/bumgarner-i-really-dont-know-where-mvp-truck

This is kind of funny. So Bumgarner apparently isn't sure where the truck ended up. He said he wants to keep it and have fun with it, but isn't sure where it is right now.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

When Mike Trout won the car for All-Star Game MVP, he said he had to get back to the company once he decided on a color and then they would ship it to him. You don't actually get the display one on the field.

8. joe

joe Active Member

The gift exemption, as it has been for several years, is $14,000. You can give that amount, tax free, to any person you want, and you can gift the same amount to as many people as you want up until the lifetime gift exemption, which is $5.34 million this year.

Wow! My estate planning freelance writing finally comes in handy.

9. Boom_70

Not following . Are you saying ring / truck not taxable because they are gifted to
    Bumgarner?

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wish Chevy guy had said "Technology and Shit"

11. Boom_70

I wish that Chris Farley was still alive to play Chevy Guy on SNL

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If you want to keep that money, all of it, just give it to your wife. See, the IRS allows you a one-time-only gift to your spouse. It's good up to sixty thousand dollars. ... It's perfectly legal. Go ask the IRS, they'll say the same thing. Actually, I feel silly telling you all this. I'm sure you would have investigated the matter yourself. ... But you will need somebody to set up the tax-free gift, and that'll cost you. A lawyer, for example...or come to think of it, I suppose I could set it up for you. That would save you some money. I'll write down the forms you need, you can pick them up, and I'll prepare them for your signature... nearly free of charge... I'd only ask three beers apiece for my co-workers, if that seems fair. I think a man working outdoors feels more like a man if he can have a bottle of suds. That's only my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted