1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Guy. #TechnologyAndStuff. It's a thing. A big thing.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My foil hat isn't on either. Nervous guy botches it in front of the whole world. Beltran left the bat on his shoulder in '06. It happens to everyone.

But I see the cruelty in this world and think they knew he'd botch it, so they put him out there to botch it anyway knowing they'd clean up the mess in the morning with a bit of the smart hashtagging -- and voila, an unwitting star is born! (and oh, by the way, they're talking about us 48 hours later!).

I'm 99.9999 percent sure it was just a fuck-up and swift response.

But I'm leaving the window open .0001 percent that this was planned.

In today's world everything gets figured out.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

#Technologyandstuff wasn't created by Chevy; like 99.9 percent of all hashtags, it was an organic creation seconds after the clip aired.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I wonder what happens to all the MVP vehicles given away every year for every major pro sport. Surely these guys make enough to afford something much nicer than a mediocre mid-size pickup. Why not have the sponsor and the MVP present the vehicle to a contest winner, some schlub who makes less than $30K per year covering high school sports and who wouldn't mind a brand new mid-size pickup?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Any "social media guru" out of college for five minutes would know to jump on the blitz with a hashtag.

I can be convinced that "technology and stuff" was a planned line but not the entire thing.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pre-race trucks at Texas Motor Speedway for Chase for the Sprint Cup race.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A free truck is a free truck. Bumgarner can keep it (probably a good option for lucky stiffs who stumble into an MVP award like David Freese or Mike Lowell), give it to a family member or donate it to charity as a write-off.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Those Corvettes Sport Magazine used to award were sweet - the Chevy Colorado doesn't scream MVP. I'd donate it to Habitat for Humanity.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let Toonces drive it. No amount of technology and stuff would prevent:

[​IMG]

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It'd be a fun feature for some MLB writer to track down recent MVP winners and ask them what they've done with their vehicles.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Used to love reading Sport Magazine. Used paper route money to subscribe to Sport, Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News in the early and middle '70s and read the all cover-to-cover.

Now two are dead and one SI is struggling to hang on. Sofa king sad.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As a horny 14-year-old, the Sport Magazine swimsuit issue was a tremendous find. It was the sports version of Hustler to SI's Playboy.

12. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

It's not quite a free truck. The cost of the truck is considered taxable income. He can't avoid that by giving it to a family member. If he does gift it to a family member, it will trigger a gift tax, assuming the value of the truck is more than the gift tax exemption amount - something like $13,000 this year. If he donates the truck, the allowable deduction will be either what the charity sells the truck for or the depreciated value of the truck, so something less than the amount he had to include in taxable income. Then the charitable contribution deduction amount could get a further reduction, if he's subject to itemized deduction caps. As an itemized deduction, the contribution won't be a dollar for dollar reduction of tax.

He's going to pay something for winning the "free" truck.

Draft saved Draft deleted