1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chevy Guy. #TechnologyAndStuff. It's a thing. A big thing.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 31, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ChevyGuy?src=hash

The Chicago Tribune's Phil Rosenthal writes: Here's to you, Rikk Wilde, you big, sweaty, hyperventilating sales genius.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ct-rosenthal-chevy-guy-mvp-1031-biz-20141030-column.html

Bloomberg: ChevyGuy’s World Series Presentation Worth $2.4 Million

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-30/chevyguy-s-world-series-presentation-worth-2-4-million.html

It's a meme (that even Chevy is participating in).

https://twitter.com/hashtag/TechnologyAndStuff?src=hash

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Devil's advocate: The whole thing was planned.

[​IMG]

@VoiceofMeffle This is nimble, creative and real-time marketing at its best from @ChevyTrucks! #technologyandstuff

How do you take the most boring thing ever during a championship celebration -- HEY, CHAMP, HERE ARE KEYS TO YOUR NEW TRUCK! -- and get the world to hump your product for the next 48 hours? By giving the world something it just hasn't seen before outside of the Farley skit. It could just be the dude was big fat sweaty nervous wreck. But Chevy ain't sending a big fast sweaty nervous wreck in front of the camera to present a truck to the MVP unless it knew what it was doing -- and planned to do with the obvious outcome. Social media has changed everything. Maybe this dude really is a nervous wreck in front of the spotlight and became part of the ruse without knowing why he'd been chosen. There are some sick perverted fucks out there who know how to spin an ad campaign.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If Chevy planned that ahead of time, kudos to them. Their marketers are A+. And the 'regional zone manager' was awesome. Flubbing the lines, while having the meat sweats - that was A+.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There is no way in hell that was planned.

Absolutely NO WAY MLB would have allowed that to happened beforehand. DO you think they staged Bud's hairpulling too?

5. Songbird

Like Chevy gives a rat's ass about Bud Selig.

"Sorry, Bud, we didn't know he would be so nervous ... " as they silently laugh chortle and guffaw about their brilliant campaign.

Chevy got on top of it WAY too fast IMO by having those ads ready the day after.

Let's just find out who Farley Redux is vis-a-vis why, of all people Chevy could have sent, it was him.

6. LongTimeListener

They said he is a good employee in their Kansas City area who is a big fan. A bad decision but an understandable one.

Xan, you've been drinking your Starman juice.

7. Songbird

I don't necessarily believe it. I'm just looking at ways for it to be true. I had to turn it off after 30 seconds, it was so painful.

That said, "good employee in Kansas City ... big fan ... " and you're going to trot him in front of the world like that?

At first stench it smells like a little pre-planning.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is no way Chevy is that good.

That said, they had a 6:00 am meeting yesterday morning, and did figure out how to turn chicken shit into chicken salad. It really isn't that hard to suggest "lets make fun of ourselves" and create a hashtag #technologyandstuff.

9. LongTimeListener

If the guy could be that awful on purpose, he would already be a mega-star.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

or the mayor of Toronto

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That print ad you posted isn't exactly swimming in CGI. Stock photo, minimal text ... hell, I think I could throw that thing together in an hour.
    I think Chevy saw this disaster unfold, and went into crisis mode immediately. By late Wednesday night, when they saw this thing trending in a positive direction (or at least one that was giving them free publicity), they made the shrewd decision to jump behind it and use it to their advantage. I'm betting Wednesday was a sleepless night for a lot of executives -- especially the guy who let Chevy Guy do the presentation in the first place -- but there were a lot of back pats and attaboys by Thursday afternoon.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't put on my tinfoil hat for this one. The guy botched it and the rest was damage control.

Draft saved Draft deleted