1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chess

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, May 7, 2007.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's really two good options for playing chess online, imo, Rusty.

The Free Internet Chess Server is, of course, free and has a lot of good features. You'll need to download a separate program to access the server, it's not a web site, but they have directions on how to do that. The emphasis is on blitz and bullet, but you can usually find a good standard game if you prefer that. http://www.freechess.org/

The Internet Chess Club is based on the same server software as FICS, but back in the 90s there was some kind of controversy where the guy in charge turned it into a pay site, annoying the people who have volunteered their programming skills with the idea that it would be free forever. They've made a lot of improvements on the software since then, and I think it's probably the best place to play on the internet. You've got a ton of players of all skill levels, and you'll usually find a few dozen titled players at any time. They have amazing instructional videos, live broadcasts of big tournaments with audio commentary, and the option to purchase time from instructors. The cost is $70/year, or $25/3 months (I think there's some other longer options that provide an even better deal, I don't recall).

So if you just want to goof around playing, then the FICS. If you consider it a serious enough hobby that you don't mind paying for a good experience, then ICC is best.

2. RickStain

[​IMG]

This is Daniel Naroditsky. He's 15 now and a genuine chess prodigy. He won the 12-and-under world championship a few years ago, and he recently earned the title of International Master. He finished second at the U.S. Open last year.

Why am I posting about him? Because last night on the Internet Chess Club, I got to play him and drew. You could tell he wasn't taking the game seriously and made a mistake that was going to cost him a piece, so he offered the draw and I instantly accepted.

That's roughly the chess equivalent of a low-level NBA player stopping by the Y on a Saturday, challenging you to 1-on-1, and while he's hamming it up for the cameras you drain a couple fluke threes and he agrees to call it a tie.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here with a story about interacting with a 15-year-old online over the weekend, but I think mine's the best.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's like you getting Johnny Chan to fold as Mike McD.

Well done.

4. RickStain

The U.S. Championships are live. We're a bit past halfway through the preliminary round, but it's fun to watch live. Some good commentary available through the official site:

http://www.livestream.com/uschess

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My third-grade daughter is playing competitive chess. I played her and I had her king surrounded, but did not technically have check, though any move she would make would result in checkmate.

She called "stalemate!" ... and I was like, "you can't do that!"

Sure enough. You can. Stupid rule smartly played by my girl.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nah. You want a picture of oblivious Eli.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It's random that this thread popped up today, because they're redoing one of the men's rooms at my office. There's a plasticky smell that I can't quite place but smells familiar. Finally, it hit me: It smells like one of those roll-up travel chessboards.

8. RickStain

I know you guys were dying for an update. I've started to take this really seriously as a hobby, and it's been a ton of fun. I've played in four tournaments this year. The most recent two, I won the unrated local club championship and I won a 25-person rated open tournament nearby. The open was pretty stunning, because I was the 21st seed by rating. I won all four games, including a 24-move checkmate of a national master.

My US Chess Federation rating is up to 1531 and trending upward pretty fast. I'm considered an above-average tournament player at this point, which I think is pretty good for less than a year (albeit a pretty intense year where I've had a ton of spare time).

If anyone's ever considering taking it up as a hobby, lemme know and I can probably point you in the right directions.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I apply military tactics to my chess strategy.

OK ... I'm just trying to make myself sound smart. I actually suck.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Bubs, that's pretty doggone brilliant for a third-grader. :)

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Rick - What is the best thing to learn first? Openings? Middle game? End game? It's really overwhelming.

My nephews are really into chess - they've even been going to a chess class. I'd like to be able to play against them, and I have a couple weeks of down time to get into it a little bit. But I just never know how to begin.

12. RickStain

Tactics.

For the vast majority of casual chess players, it's really hard just to get through an entire game without hanging a piece (giving it up to capture for nothing). Tactics training will help you get past that.

5-15 minutes a day a site such as this this: on http://chess.emrald.net/ will give you pretty rapid improvement from the rank beginner level.

Besides that, I'd make sure you are comfortable with all the really basic endgames (can you mate with a queen and king vs. just a king? Rook and king vs. king?).

As far as openings, they are *super* overrated at the amateur level. Just follow the basic rules of development: Try to control the center, try to move all your pieces at least once, castle as quickly as you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted