1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chess or Scrabble?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Better chance you'll run into a hot chick playing Scrabble.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good Christ man how old are you? Seriously?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "Get good"? If you want to play chess reasonably well, it'll take a lot of time and work.

4. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Checkers?

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Wouldn't that make Scrabble more difficult? They make these crazy words no matter what letters are out there.

6. RickStain

Beg to differ. My first chess tournament I played smoking hot foreign chick in one of the rounds.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Scrabble is crazy.
    There are a lot of great sites to play online and if you're going to get serious here's some advice - memorize all the two-letter words (a must) and most, if not all, of the three letter words.
    Bascially, to be good at Scrabble it's not about spelling five letter words. It's about three letters at a time and bingos (when you use all your letters).
    My favorite scrabble word ever - because it gets challenged all the time - is zaire. It's Zaire's version of the dollar.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

The English language is difficult as is, but Scrabble makes it a bit tougher. Regardless, I think chess has a steeper learning curve and has infinite combinations to win.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If anybody plays Words With Friends or anything similar, let me know through PM.

10. RickStain

One of the nice things about chess is that it's pretty straightforward in terms of work you put in equaling gains in skill. Obviously at the world class levels, natural talent begins to matter, but for the most part not so much down in the amateur ranks.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

That's what I mean. Looking to put some time and effort into one or the other and see how I progress.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The idea that Scrabble is even close to Chess in terms of difficulty is, well, ludicrous.

It's like comparing doing a crossword puzzle to designing a building.

Draft saved Draft deleted