1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chelsea Handler's ratings topping Conan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 1, 2011.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I don't regularly catch Handler, but I do find some of her bits interesting and raunchy. It's either amusing or I roll my eyes to it. As suprising as it is for myself to admit, I've cooled off on Conan. Nothing against him, if I do watch, it's still good.

I was a Letterman/Conan guy. Before that I was a Carson fan. Today, Ferguson and Fallon are the only guys I will watch and enjoy. I'm surprised that I might be the only one to mention Craig Ferguson on this thread. I could be wrong.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm more likely to watch commercials on DVR than I am live. Live TV, I'm usually paying attention, so I'm flipping on commercials. DVR generally plays in the background while I'm online or whatever, and I hear the commercials, but don't care enough to FF through them.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm pissed if I catch myself actually watching the commercials when I'm watching something I recorded.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Actually, there is considerable research (as you can guess, it's an important topic to broadcasters and ad agencies) suggesting that a considerable percentage of DVR users DO watch the commercials. I know it appears like insane behavior, no, make that IS insane behavior, but that's what the surveys say.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most shows charge more to be the first and the last commercials of the break, so the chances that their commercial is seen before or after the channel flipping or DVR fastforwarding.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I cant believe people actually watch that TMZ crap, but it must pay the lightbills.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It does, but the bigger issue is that all of the ad revenue from TMZ (or whatever goes in that place) goes to the station. In network programming, the vast majority of the commercial revenue goes to the network. Even if a network talk show tripled the ratings of TMZ, the local affiliate would make more money on TMZ.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Survey SAYS ...

[​IMG]

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I like both Handler and Conan, more so Conan than Handler. But I found him a lot more entertaining and consistent at NBC than TBS.

10. Deeper_Background

But what about when Arsenio Hall was hot? A lot of FOX stations were giving up that local revenue then...

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nope. "The Arsenio Hall Show" was syndicated. It was not a FOX network show.

There was a FOX late night show before that hosted by Joan Rivers, and after she left Arsenio spent a few weeks as a guest host. He left and did the syndicated show with Paramount, and the FOX show was canceled a short time later.

Even the Joan Rivers show was a totally different circumstance. The FOX network didn't have any other weekday programming back then. The affiliates lost that hour of Joan Rivers time, but they still had all of prime time to themselves. FOX didn't program during the week until years after that show was canceled.

12. Deeper_Background

Thats right, I must have been thinking about the $3 million Chevy Chase got from FOX about the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted