1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chelsea Handler's ratings topping Conan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Cook. Dane Cook. The comic you grow out of.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Early morning posting comes with mistakes built in. Sorry.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Just making sure no adults stumble across him accidentally. He's something to be got through on the way to adulthood, like mumps or puberty or acne. Having successfully done so, you think of it infrequently ever after, and even then you can't quite recall what all the hubbub was about.

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I don't think E! has anything close to what another network entity could offer Chelsea when her next contract is up. I see her jumping networks soon, maybe to FOX?

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't think FOX has any desire to do a late night show - ever. They never really got into serious negotiations with Conan, IIRC, and they were bit players when Letterman left as well. They did have Chevy Chase briefly, but that ended badly, since the show was so horrible. They have a bunch of syndicated programs on most of their channels, which while they aren't sexy, pretty much guarantee steady revenue, I believe.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And those syndicated shows in late night are earning money for the local affiliates -- not for FOX. The network will face some serious pushback from the affiliates if it ever takes another run at late night, because it would represent a huge cut in their revenue. (It would likely mean that nearly all of the non-O&O affiliates would push the new network late night show back to about 2am so they could keep their own programming in the better slot.)

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

And before Chevy Chase, they had Joan Rivers. First show in FBC (as it was almost called) history.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Because more females watch TV, or at least that type of stuff. Most guys I know watch sports, Netflix, movies or comedies. Maybe that's a generalization, but not much of TV is male-oriented.

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Even if Handler was making a huge run in young demos like she is now?

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yes, because affiliates wouldn't have as much local commercial inventory to sell.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I watch Handler. I don't watch Conan.

And I'm stunned to hear that Fallon's show is actually funny. I'll have to start watching.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was big news the other day when Jon Stewart beat Leno in the 18-49 demographic.

There are so many ways to gauge ratings. Conan is not going to do well with an older audience, but his fans are in the right demographic groups for advertisers and his fans are loyal.

Draft saved Draft deleted