1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chelsea Handler's ratings topping Conan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I wonder, though, if that's really an issue with Stewart and Colbert. How many people watch those shows because of the guests? I watch to get their takes on what happened that day/week.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Indeed, Stewart and Colbert are selling something decidedly different than LetterLenO'brien.

And Handler is selling something different than any of them.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Agreed, and the time on each show reflects that. Stewart and Colbert, unless they get like Paul McCartney or Hanks, normally spend about four to six minutes with a guest. That leaves the other 16 minutes for skits. In contrast, I feel like Conan (who's not a great interviewer) feels compelled to stay with the standard talk show format: 10 to 15 minutes for skits and monologue, 20 to 25 minutes for guests, and a musical act.

I'd love to see him just ditch one of the guests each night and has a second skit after the first guest, but so far, his show has been far less adventurous than I thought it would be. In contrast, Fallon is willing to do weird shit (even if it fails, like video game week), Kimmel has a good balance between interviewing skill and skits, and Ferguson sets himself apart because he can get a decent interview out of pretty much anyone.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Can't figure out for the life of me why she'd have better ratings:
    [​IMG]

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Do people still watch TV for hot chicks? Who has cable television but not the Internet?

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Now, we see a considerably less dolled-up version of Ms. Handler at 2 a.m. nightly ...

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Not exclusively, but given the choice between hot chick and a red-headed dude, I'd choose chick even if I had to mute the channel. LOL

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

What hot chick are you talking about?

9. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I'll give her this, I figured once she stopped doing the boss, it would be over, but she's still on.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I Tivo Kimmel, Conan and The Daily Show every night. I watch the monologue from all three and I'll usually get through at least the first guest with Kimmel and about half the time, I'll watch the entire show. I usually stop watching Conan and TDS right before the guests come. With Conan, it's not the level of celebrity that matters. The funniest guests are usually someone like Jack McBrayer, who he has a really good rapport with.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Handler is hotter than she is funny. Take that however you wish.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I don't think Conan is funny whatsover. And I'm shocked at how much I like Fallon since I became a regular viewer 4-5 months ago. He's the best late-night host going.

Draft saved Draft deleted