1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chelsea Handler's ratings topping Conan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

That's what it says here:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/chelsea_tops_conan_in_late_night_BpeqmiPF3mxHn3osgpV6oN

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Heehee: "chelsea_tops_conan"

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not really that much of surprise - Conan is the only one of the four to run an hour.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it indicates that Chelsea is doing well more than it says Conan is doing badly.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

That's a very, very generous way to spin this.

I'd love to see a comparison of what E spends on the Chelsea Handler show compared to what TBS is spending on Conan.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it's more that Handler doesn't really have any competition - She's aiming for the female audience awake at night, and her show is more like an R-rated version of The View or a chat show than a late night show. Conan probably splits his audience with Stewart, Colbert, Letterman and Leno.

For what it's worth, I think Conan is doing OK. Someone mentioned a couple months back that he was suffering from a lack of good guests, and while I didn't think it was a problem at that time, I do think he's having that issue now. (Except for Hanks last night, the best guest this week was Elijah Woods or Liv Tyler.) I also think that Ferguson and Fallon at 12:30, and the Comedy Central guys, are putting on the most original and consistently funny bits.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When I watch Conan it's almost always at 1 a.m. instead of 11 p.m. I don't know how people like me figure into the ratings or if there are many others like me.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I really did not like Fallon when he took over, but he has consistently improved and now I am a regular watcher.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I like Conan, but I'd rather watch Handler. It's like she's missing the filter between her brain and her mouth, something I can totally relate too.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Me too, although dating back to SNL. He also seems to be pretty well-liked, and gets some surprisingly good guests and musical acts.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Conan goes through stretches where he gets very few decent guests. The Daily Show and Colbert have the same issue.

Fallon is doing great. Some of the celebrity guests he's had are unbelievable. Hell, he got Springsteen to be in a sketch.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Me too, and yet I hate her and want her head on a pole in my front yard.

Different strokes.

Draft saved Draft deleted