1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chelsea Clinton to NBC Nightly News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No he hasn't.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I thought she was pretty good.

As for hiring her because of who she is, come on. It's not as if they said 'Hey, who can we hire for this job opening, let's look at 1000 applicants and find the one with the most experience and chops!' They said, 'We can make good use of Chelsea Clinton, people will watch.'

Same for Jenna Bush on Today...she's cute and charming, people will watch.

Although it does look like something of a trend at NBC....Russert, Bush, Clinton. Doesn't seem to hurt ratings. Plenty of other real pros over there to do the heavy lifting.

3. Flying Headbutt

Once again you're in rare company.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/chelsea-clinton-makes-broadcast-debut-on-nbcs-rock-center/2011/12/12/gIQApql2qO_story.html?hpid=z3

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We could always do some cross-training and have Bush, Clinton and Russert work a game with Chip Caray, Thom Brennaman, Joe Buck and Kenny Albert.

5. Flying Headbutt

Of them all, only Kenny Albert is worth a damn. Though I'll admit I haven't once ever seen Jenna Bush doing anything on TV.

Thom Brennaman should be known as the mangler, since he mangles facts and names like it's his job.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hey, they have nothing to lose, especially with the entertainment arm of the network buried so deep they feel like they're speaking Chinese.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Luke Russert still has a ways to go in order to be "decent" let alone "pretty good".

8. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Maybe that fire alarm that interrupted the NBC newscast a couple weeks ago was the result of the steam coming out of Brian Williams' ears over this hire.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

^^^^Quality.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I saw it too and yes, she looked and sounded very stiff. Not sure if this was her first on-air report. Like anyone, I'd expect her to get better but it was obvious she's not a natural.

My son asked me if I thought she got the job because of her name. I said yes, because who gets a job as an NBC correspondent at 20-odd years of age with no experience? But I also qualified it by saying, her father is brilliant, her mother is brilliant, she went to Stanford and has to have some smarts herself.

That said, she probably would have done herself a big favor by actually working in the business and gaining some experience. Mankato may be hiring.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hey, cut her some slack: She "wants to tell some stories."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-chelsea-clinton-nbc-rock-center-20111213,0,5623444.story

As a TV talk producer, my professional opinion: she's about as bad as I've seen; in fact, I once had to produce the daughter of a very famous TV producer...ironically enough, they have the same first name -- and both Chelseas are terribly stiff on cam. Normally, I wouldn't recommend Botox for someone Chelsea's age, but damn, her brow lines are deep!

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

So she landed with the Nobody But Clinton channel? I really expected to see her on the Clinton News Network. Or the Clinton Broadcasting System. Or the All Bill Clinton channel.

Draft saved Draft deleted