1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheers to David Tyree

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Monday Morning Sportswriter, May 4, 2008.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'm a Pats fan, so it takes a lot for me to say anything nice about David Tyree.

But last night, he was in the bleakest section of Newark for a fund-raiser for a group called Safe Haven, a which I have a very loose tie to. It's a big outreach from some big-hearted people to some of the poorest people I've ever met.

Tyree came early, he spoke, he signed autographs, he took pictures with everyone, and he apparently was one of the last guys out the door.

And then he found that the windows to his minivan had been smashed and everything was gone.

My friends who were there with him at the end said he exhibited tremendous grace, essentially shrugging it off.

So nice job, David Tyree -- one of the NFL's nice guys.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, David. Nice catch.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hell of a story, MMSW, despite dools' doofus comment.

Of course, Tyree grew up right next door to Newark in much better surroundings in Montclair.

4. dooley_womack1

Damn, is the board so touchy that I have to add the "but seriously, great thing to do"?

5. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Why the hell is David Tyree driving a minivan?

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you had to make a trip to the crappy part of Newark, and you had a choice, would you take your Maserati or your maid's minivan?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Your logic is flawed. It implies there's a part of Newark that isn't crappy.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yes.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

When did you get so touchy that we can't make sarcastic comments about your posts?

10. dooley_womack1

Man, this is getting too meta for me to handle.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's good of Tyree, I guess; definitely cool he signed autographs. But that story reminds me of one someone told me last week about someone taking advantage of another's good deeds.

This middle-aged man, a college professor, I believe, stopped to give a homeless man some change on the street. He had to dig around his pockets for the money, hands full and struggling to pull the coins out. When he finally gave the man money, he walked away and stopped. He began to have a seizure and collapsed on the ground. Instead of helping, the homeless man took the dude's wallet and bailed, and everything was caught on tape.

Some people's actions just make you stop and think a little. Life works in weird ways.

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I believe that story actually happened in Dallas, and it wasn't to a college professor - it was too an 18-year-old man. http://www.wlbz2.com/news/watercooler/article.aspx?storyid=85692

However, the DMN ran a story the other day where they said the 18-year-old is not an active ROTC member nor does he attend the college he originally claimed too.

Draft saved Draft deleted