1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheerleading

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Nov 6, 2006.

1. How come they didn't have any cheerleaders to cheer on the cheerleaders at the cheerleading competition?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

They should have basketball games on the sidelines during cheerleading meets.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OTD, maybe it's not the case where you are, but these band competitions are pretty big around here. I mean, they darn near pack high school stadiums ... bigger crowds, I might add, than most high school football games.

I'm glad our news-side took the initiative to give coverage to this kind of thing. And we aren't a 10,000 daily.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I am continually amazed at the stuff I learn here. It wouldn't occur to me that anyone would so much as walk across the street for something like that.

This will make my daughter's day when I tell her this . . . she's pretty much of the opinion that football is just filler around the halftime show anyway.:)

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Scary, huh?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well ma'am, our policy is not to run team photos.
    And who sanctioned the state competition? For high schools, we only recognize (insert state high school association here). I can pass this along to our news side, if you like.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Homecoming court and she called sports. That's funny.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, the largest paper in my state runs photos of the homecoming queen in the sports section and includes a game note on her selection for the three biggest universities in the state.

9. rgd

rgd Guest

How much of the stadium is filled with the competitors themselves? And how often are these competitions staged?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. Because the moment cheerleading contest results make the paper, here comes frisbee golf and poker tournaments from McGraw's last Thursday night (Ladies night, dollar draws) and whatever else might be out there.

I have no problems with doing a cheerleader story once a sports season, seeing how much fun the reporter might have with it (think "Bring It On") or if they simply bring back a solid, intriguing read from it. But that one feature should do it. Anything more would be way too much.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Me: Is cheerleading a sport?
    Cheerleading parent: Yes.
    Me: Why?
    The kids work so hard, just as hard as the football players and they're such great athletes.
    Me: Why is it a sport?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would surmise that because cheerleaders usually fall under the auspices of the athletic director in most high schools, parents think it is a sport, when in reality it is there only because the AD gets stuck with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted