1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheerleading story from Detroit News

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, May 14, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Problem is, that would eliminate boxing.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You could modify it by adding "or where you can win without a judges' decision". In boxing, a hard right hand that sends your opponent to the mat for the 10 count gets you a win, even if he's up by 10 points on all three cards heading into the final round. Just try that in gymnastics. No, seriously, try it; I might watch it that way.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Then box to the knockout, or to the count.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why is that a problem? It would also get rid of figure skating and diving...

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A boxing match can be decided by definite means, though. A knockout or TKO and you don't worry about the judges. That puts in a separate catgory from gymnastics, diving and, yes, cheerleading, IMO.

Oh, and since no cheerleading thread would be complete without it, I give you:

[​IMG]

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was being facetious about boxing.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Good. Exactly where it belongs.

This is a battle that needs to be fought, and won.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey. The Metro Section works hard too and deserves recognition just like the sports page does...

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Cheerleading is an activity, not a sport. It only exists to take place during real sports. But it also doesn't mean they can't be athletic.

Debates aren't sport either, but at least there's competition between schools.

But just because cheerleaders get together and are "scored" against each other in some events on summer weekends meant to drain mom and dad of their hard-earned dollars, that doesn't make it a sport either. And Lord knows jsut because it's on ESPN doesn't qualify it as a sport. (See: Hot Dog Eating. Competition, but not a sport.)

And just because something is an Olympic "event" that doesn't make whatever that is a sport, either (See: Synchonized swimming).

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That's prime quality. :D

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

If you eliminated diving what would all the soccer players do for a living?

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Without getting into a bitching match, I'm down with cheerleading.

Draft saved Draft deleted