1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheerleading is NOT a sport, so says University of Alabama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

For those of you who do not believe cheerleading is a sport (and I include myself in that number), the University of Alabama agrees with you:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110129/NEWS/110129605/1291/sports?p=1&tc=pg

Bama cheerleaders win UCA national championship, but school won't buy them rings or let them use school's logo on rings they purchased themselves. The reason? Cheerleading is not an NCAA-sanctioned sport.

Well, I'm sure that settles that.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

If they don't want to pony up for the rings that's one thing, but not letting them put it on the rings is kind of strange.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But what about the fine ladies that show the recruits around?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sport or no sport - You would think the athletic departments would share the wealth a bit when it comes to cheerleaders and members of the band. They put in a lot of time, represent the school throughout the year and don't get much in terms of tangible rewards.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Bama's cheerleaders should boycott a few games or just sit there quietly.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The entire "cheerleading as a varsity sport" delusion was launched in the 1980s (when significant money started being devoted to female sports) by cheerleading mamas looking to get their fingers into athletic department budgets and take money away from other actual SPORTS (i.e. basketball volleyball softball soccer swimming track tennis golf gymnastics etc etc etc) in which girls might actually compete and enjoy on their own merits.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And by administrators who thought they could satisfy Title IX requirements with it.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep, and who would much rather watch perky young things shaking their bouncy booties in those skimpy skirts for the ego-gratification benefit of the big tough guys on the football and basketball teams, than watch girls getting all gritty and sweaty competing in games for their own benefit and enjoyment.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, that's pretty Bush League. From the story:

Also, could you possible draft a more stuffy, non-congratulatory congratulations.

Weak, weak, weak. What assholes.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So if their science department wins some kind of award would they be allowed to use the logo in whatever it is they do to signify an achievement?

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

If the girls threatened to wear parkas at the next game, I bet the school would cave.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cheerleading is not a sport? The Green Bay Packers agree.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110126/GPG0101/101260722/Packers-won-t-take-cheerleaders-to-Super-Bowl

Draft saved Draft deleted