1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheerleading captain dies during boob augmentation surgery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kid Presentable, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why not? It's reflective of a society which places pressure on young women to enhance their appearance through dangerous methods such as this cheerleader used. Just yesterday, the beautiful Sarah Jessica Parker talked about how hurtful being listed on Maxim's idiotic unsexy list was.

Maybe this story should be linked on that thread, might help you get your computer working: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/54393/

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I hadn't read that thread, (and I only lasted five or six posts there) but no, braindead slobs on the internet talking about hollywood 'hot or not' celebs does not mean that the parents should be buying their high school senior daughters boob jobs. Just my opinion.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Perhaps they are some of the braindead slobs.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some of you sound like Amish folks railing against electricity.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Most men like boobs. That is why they are a topic of conversation on here (perhaps too often, I will grant).

Most men do not require them to be surgically enhanced. In fact, there's a thread (surprise!) a ways back that debated the real vs. augmented issue and IIRC, real did very well in that discussion.

Most people would feel that it would be unnecessary for an 18 year old to have augmentation surgery.

So, I, too, don't buy the direct correlation between teenage boob jobs and boob threads.

And one final impression (and I could no doubt be way off here): when I hear societal pressure to get these enhancements, I think less that is a result of general male driven preferences or requests, and more of a female imposed, keeping up with my friend Mrs. Jones mentality.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Bashing the parents for this is unfair without knowing more facts. The girl was legally an adult, and she'd been waitressing for three years, according to the story. It's quite possible that she saved up the $$ to pay for the procedure herself. Her parents might have tried desperately to talk her out of it, for all we know.

And anyone who doesn't think there's a connection between men's slobbering fixation on boobs and what happened to this girl is kidding themselves. No, she didn't die because we talk tits so much on SportsJournalists.com, but every little bit contributes to the culture that makes a perfectly attractive teenage girl feel she needs to be bustier.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But Captain Kirk, why did Mrs. Jones get her boobs done?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Same reason. To keep up with her friends.

Seriously, my mid-40s sister-in-law just had hers done. They were her and her husband's gift to each other for their anniversary. And yes, part of the reason is because her husband is a boob-obsessed neanderthal. But really, her friends got them done so she had to join in. Yes, she really is like that.

And yes, we all told her exactly how stupid we thought it was. I'm sure we'll be hearing about their teenage daughter wanting her upgrade in a few years (she's only 13) and they will cave in about 10 seconds.

This was an incredibly stupid way for the cheerleader in the story to die and you're damned right that the doctor and the parents should have been steering her away from this.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But her husband wanted them done. And her friend's husbands wanted them done. Very few woman say, "Please, cut off my nipple, stick a bag in there, pumpit full of liquid, sew me back up to where I can't breathe without pain just so I can go buy a whole new wardrobe."

It's about society, and the perception of what's attractive, which is driven largely by the 18-49 males.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

D-E-A-T-H!

What's that spell?

Death! Death! Death!

Sorry.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

For a second there, skimming through, I thought this thread had devolved into a discussion of my wife's tits.

Which are strangely relevent here... At the moment, they are giant with food our new kid. I believe that if you have implants, you can't breastfeed (I stand to be corrected there, but I believe that's true.) That means 18 year old girls are making decisions that will affect the lives of their children years down the road.

In other words, there's no way someone under the age of 21 should be able to get breast implants. I know you can join the Army at 18, but you can't drink till you're 21. (That's fucked up but another debate entirely.) There is a big difference in maturity and outlook that takes place in those three years.

And the idea of parents buying tits for their kids -- Hey Dad, can you buy me some DDs so that Tommy has something to grope in the back of your car? -- is about the worst thing I've ever heard.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I suppose it's worth pointing out that there is a chance -- although it's probably somewhat remote -- that this girl was not getting breast implants simply because she wanted bigger and firmer. The Washington Post wrote a big story about this trend a few years ago (the article was linked here on SportsJournalists.com) and one of the reasons some teenagers claimed to do it was because one breast was much bigger than the other, they had suffered some hormone deficiency that had severely limited their growth, etc. I agree though that it's most likely the girl just wanted to look like the girls on MTV (if you remember that Rolling Stone story, Britney Spears allegedly had breast implants at 16).

As for the debate about whether SportsJournalists.com's masturbation nation contributes to this kind of mentality, I think it absolutely does, and Sarah Jessica Parker is a perfect example. If she'd gotten a nose job 20 years ago, she'd look a lot more traditionally "beautiful" to some people. And when people talk about how "butt ugly" she is -- when in reality, she's perfectly normal looking, and probably much prettier than your wife, if you want to be perfectly honest about it -- it all contributes to the mentality that cute isn't good enough. And it's not just men who do it. It's women too. I've listened to a ton of women make superficial comments about another woman in "private." Men are just more likely to plaster it on the internet and joke that they would "not hit it" because they are holding out for Jessica Alba -- pre-pregnancy, of course, because pregnancy is, dude, like, way gross.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.