1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheerleading captain dies during boob augmentation surgery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Kid Presentable, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The girl's GPA was over 4.0, with AP classes....she wasn't stupid. She just wanted boobs. She was going to college and she wanted boobs.

Not really understanding the 'parental consent' question here, you can't have surgery without insurance, pretty safe bet she's covered by her parents' policy, not her own.

Considering there are at least 20 threads a day here that devolve into boobfests, I'm having a hard time understanding the judgmental shock and tsking over this. Isn't this what everyone wants??

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Your use of the word "everyone" is false. It may be the desire of the loudest however that does not necessarily mean the most.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What if this girl died while getting a nose job? Billion-to-one shot, perhaps, but that's (in most cases) cosmetic surgery too for vanity purposes.

Like the story said, this girl had a lot on the ball. How do you know the augmentation wasn't some kind of reward for an outstanding academic record? Eh, that wouldn't be my style as a parent, but I smell the perception that she asked Daddy for 20 grand for surgery like I asked my Dad for two bucks for baseball cards and that he reached in his pocket without flinching. They may have had a very long discussion about this, weighing the consequences, then going for it.

My heart aches for that family. Money can never heal the loss, and people shouldn't rag on that family for somehow creating the problem because they had money. They're Americans. People of all classes pay to look better.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Absurd.

A good boob job can be had for $5-$10K.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I don't think her boob surgery was covered by her health insurance, but maybe I'm wrong.

There are lots of beautiful women in the world who don't have breast implants. Had this girl's parents had basic common sense, they would have drilled that into their daughter. She was on the verge of adulthood, and she was completely off track about what's important in life. Also the doctor's a slimeball.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Even more sad is that these are probably the same parents who chose not to vaccinate their kids against measles because they once read that somewhere a kid became autistic after getting the vaccine.

7. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

It doesn't matter who it is or what sort of plastic surgery it is. The bottom line is that it's completely unnecessary and comes with risks that probably make it the wrong choice. It also reflects poorly on our society. I've had enough of Hairclub for Men and all that shit. It's like everyone's back in high school trying to compete for popularity.

8. I'm sure at her age she was on her parents' insurance, but elective surgery, which includes a boob job, is NOT covered by health insurance.
    If she was getting an upgrade, Mom and dad were paying out of pocket.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Color me less than impressed with the 4.0 GPA. Take a look at the bell curve at a lot of high schools. 4.0's are given out like candy.

You really aren't going to defend the practice of high school girls getting boob jobs, are you, 21? I guess you are. I think that high school girls who feel they need fake boobs, and are willing to go under surgery to get them (never mind the cost) is sad. It reflects poorly on them, that in their warped world, a set of silicon bags protruding under their skin represents happiness. It reflects poorly on our society. And it reflects especially poorly on the parents, that someone couldn't step back, look at the overall picture, and just said "no".

JMO.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're probably right...I was addressing some of the earlier posts suggesting she didn't need consent. Whether she was covered by insurance or her parents' checkbook, same result.

Someone above had a great post about a nose job...would that have been a headline? Kids get nose jobs all the time, WAY before they finish high school. Is that news? Or is this a story because it's about boobs? BOOBS! WOW!

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No, I'm not defending it. I just can't believe anyone who lives in this culture is surprised by it.

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Not all schools give out 4.0 easy. We don't know if her school was one of those or not. Just sayin'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.