1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cheerleaders at girls games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Jan 22, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ace:

The "rest" is everything off the field that girls have to deal with.

Such as boys having a scoreboard and the girls not. Boys having their own practice field and girls not. Boys having a training staff and girls not. ... And yes, this happens a lot more than one would think.

Boys having the school's support (i.e. cheerleaders/pep band, which are extracurriculars offered by the school, a public institution) and girls not: it absolutely falls under the same distinction.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I agree. I remember the Doonesbury where B.D. thought he was meeting feminism halfway by support a woman's right to burn her bra.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Bull. The law is about opportunity, not outcome. Period. Courts that think they can legislate outcome are courts that are out of control.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

FWIW, this is incorrect.

Cheerleading is an extracurricular activity offered by the school as a support squad for the teams. Cheerleaders are not on par with fans, because they represent the school.

If the school only "supports" the male teams, and not the female teams, then you're denying the female teams equal opportunity.

That's against the law. And that's discrimination.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with you buck. I'm just being sarcastically sympathetic to old_tony. I may need to dial it up a notch.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We've gotta get Webby to fix the sarcasm font. It hasn't been working lately.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, Webby's done his good deed for the day. ;)

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I noticed that, but dare not start a thread.
    Like others I have never been at a place that didn't have cheerleaders for basketball games.
    In the states I have worked, it was usually doubleheaders, girls first, with boys following.
    In a couple of cases, the girls game didn't have cheerleaders, but that was because they all played basketball.
    As far as being a Title IX issue, it could probably be interpreted that way. Best advice is to try to make it equal for everybody.
    I can't believe no one has said "save the cheerleader, save the world."
    I'm very disappointed.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Anybody else noticed the trend of having the cheerleaders sit in the stands the whole game, except for the one timeout when they do a 30-second routine?

When I was in high school, the cheerleaders never sat in the stands.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, in the same vein, I've definitely noticed the trend toward cheerleading being a matter of just "being there" for some participants, as opposed to getting emotionally involved in the proceedings.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just being there, huh? He can relate:

[​IMG]

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The doubleheader I attended today had cheerleaders at the boys game and not the girls. They were makeup games though and were played at 3 and 4:30 p.m., so maybe that is why.

Draft saved Draft deleted